Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default WTB Looking for a set of 5/8" O.D. round dies

I am looking for a set of 5/8" O.D. round dies. I've been trying on ebay/google but unfortunately all I get are results for 5/8-11 or 18.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What I.D. do you need? Your terminology indicates you are looking for 5/8 O.D. die buttons.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What are 5/8 round dies use for. I do blacksmith work and I would use them to forge a tennon on a larger bar. Probably not what you are looking for.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the quick responses. I am indeed looking for 5/8 O.D. round dies. I bought some Nice old Greenfield/Ace straight handle, t-handle tap holders & die stock. I'm happy with what I've got, but didn't know the die stock was for 5/8 O.D. It's not the end of the world, but it's a great little stock that I'd love to use. As far as I.D., I'm looking for fractional dies UNC, UNF, UNS 4-40, 6-32,8-32, 10-24 and 32 I'm thinking it won't include anything bigger than 1/4 or 5/16, I'd love to have some of the uncommon, at lest to me, sizes 1,2,3,5, but that's the problem, I can't find anything. If I search on google it gives me 5/8-11 or 18 1.5 or 2 inch O.D.
    I've been a long time lurker and thought this would be the place to find an answer if there was one.
    Thanks again for the responses
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like

VME offers custom made dies, and they stock them down to 13/16 OD

I also have a die stock for 5/8, but have never seen any of the dies

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is very unlikely that you can find a source of "sets" of only round dies without taps and handles, so look for individual sizes that you actually expect to use.

I have some 5/8" diameter dies in NC and NF machine screw sizes, so they certainly exist. But I got them decades ago and do not know where to buy them today. You can much more easily find 13/16" and 1" round dies. I usually buy new HSS dies from Victor because their selection, quality and price is good. Note that they have many special thread sizes available.

High Speed Round Adjustable Dies | Coarse & Fine Thread Dies

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Prolly not the cheapest place but MSC stocks some.

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/...027+4288197912

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was thinking it was old "technology" being that it is clearly an older Greenfield stock. I too haven't had any problems finding 13/16", in fact I just bought a lot of 32 beautiful vintage dies for $20 with 2 stocks hoping that the 10 smallest would be 5/8, turned out to be 13/16. Luckily there's a great GTD 13'16 stock included so I can at least use them.
    Thanks for the msc link, but just one die is more than I paid for the two handles and stock i bought. But this is ridiculous. $90/die and they have the nerve to charge you shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/Thread-Outsid.../dp/B07GZMTWT4

This is becoming personal. At this point I'm tempted to see if I can find a machinist to mill me a stepped adapter out of 1 1/2" stock, 5/8" O.D. on one end and 1" I.D. on the other just so I can say I used the damn thing. Who would have thought getting a good deal on ebay could cause a mental breakdown.

I do really appreciate all the input, I do love this site! Rick

9. Likes Dumpster_diving liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Greenfield did sell a tap and die set in machine screw sizes and maybe to 1/4" with 5/8 dies. My father had a set. Nice die stock came with the set. As I recall it had jaws for centering on the work. Unfortunately today replacement dies in 5/8 dia. are spendy.