What's new
What's new

WTB Looking for a set of 5/8" O.D. round dies

odessa24

Plastic
I am looking for a set of 5/8" O.D. round dies. I've been trying on ebay/google but unfortunately all I get are results for 5/8-11 or 18.

Thanks for the quick responses. I am indeed looking for 5/8 O.D. round dies. I bought some Nice old Greenfield/Ace straight handle, t-handle tap holders & die stock. I'm happy with what I've got, but didn't know the die stock was for 5/8 O.D. It's not the end of the world, but it's a great little stock that I'd love to use. As far as I.D., I'm looking for fractional dies UNC, UNF, UNS 4-40, 6-32,8-32, 10-24 and 32 I'm thinking it won't include anything bigger than 1/4 or 5/16, I'd love to have some of the uncommon, at lest to me, sizes 1,2,3,5, but that's the problem, I can't find anything. If I search on google it gives me 5/8-11 or 18 1.5 or 2 inch O.D.
I've been a long time lurker and thought this would be the place to find an answer if there was one.
Thanks again for the responses
Rick

VME offers custom made dies, and they stock them down to 13/16 OD

I also have a die stock for 5/8, but have never seen any of the dies

It is very unlikely that you can find a source of "sets" of only round dies without taps and handles, so look for individual sizes that you actually expect to use.

I have some 5/8" diameter dies in NC and NF machine screw sizes, so they certainly exist. But I got them decades ago and do not know where to buy them today. You can much more easily find 13/16" and 1" round dies. I usually buy new HSS dies from Victor because their selection, quality and price is good. Note that they have many special thread sizes available.

High Speed Round Adjustable Dies | Coarse & Fine Thread Dies

Larry

I was thinking it was old "technology" being that it is clearly an older Greenfield stock. I too haven't had any problems finding 13/16", in fact I just bought a lot of 32 beautiful vintage dies for $20 with 2 stocks hoping that the 10 smallest would be 5/8, turned out to be 13/16. Luckily there's a great GTD 13'16 stock included so I can at least use them.
Thanks for the msc link, but just one die is more than I paid for the two handles and stock i bought. But this is ridiculous. $90/die and they have the nerve to charge you shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/Thread-Outside-Speed-Steel-Die/dp/B07GZMTWT4

This is becoming personal. At this point I'm tempted to see if I can find a machinist to mill me a stepped adapter out of 1 1/2" stock, 5/8" O.D. on one end and 1" I.D. on the other just so I can say I used the damn thing. Who would have thought getting a good deal on ebay could cause a mental breakdown.

I do really appreciate all the input, I do love this site! Rick

Greenfield did sell a tap and die set in machine screw sizes and maybe to 1/4" with 5/8 dies. My father had a set. Nice die stock came with the set. As I recall it had jaws for centering on the work. Unfortunately today replacement dies in 5/8 dia. are spendy.

Back