What's new
What's new

WTB MT5 Tooling for Horizontal Boring Mill

marka12161

Stainless
I'm looking for #5 Morse Taper tooling for an old 3" HBM. Must have the slot for the retaining key. I'm most interested in face mill arbors, an assortment of end mill holders or a collet chuck. At some point i may be interested in align boring bars but my machine has not outboard support so these are a lower priority.

Thanks
Mark
[email protected]

Just FYI, on a lot of jobs you don't really need an outboard support. You can simply make a bushing to fit in another bore further along and let the bar ride in that. Won't work for everything of course; if your part has only one bore all the way through or is a split cap for instance. Just be sure to add some provision for drip oiling the bushing while you're working. A suspended plastic 1 liter soda bottle with a hose into an oil hole works fine, just add a throttling valve to the middle of the hose.

Just FYI, on a lot of jobs you don't really need an outboard support. You can simply make a bushing to fit in another bore further along and let the bar ride in that. Won't work for everything of course; if your part has only one bore all the way through or is a split cap for instance. Just be sure to add some provision for drip oiling the bushing while you're working. A suspended plastic 1 liter soda bottle with a hose into an oil hole works fine, just add a throttling valve to the middle of the hose.

Thanks, I've seen this set up and after some thought, i think this may actually be better for me than an outboard support. This particular machine has a 5 ft x 3 ft table which is larger than most 3" spindle machines. It also has a shorter bed than most machines in this class so an outboard support would further restrict the longitudinal table travel. Thanks for the tip.

Looking at Scully Jones #500 catalog from 1942 - the retainer slots varied in detail from maker to maker - with no coverage of Universal

Another interesting page - 50 taper adapter using retainer key to retain special 50 taper stuff

20200820_134155.jpg

Last edited:
Looking at Scully Jones #500 catalog from 1942 - the retainer slots varied in detail from maker to maker - with no coverage of Universal

Another interesting page - 50 taper adapter using retainer key to retain special 50 taper stuff

View attachment 297264

John, That 50 taper adapter is pretty slick. I guess there's no easy way to get this thing tooled up other than to keep an eye peeled on ebay and perhaps auction sites. I may have to resort to having the retaining slot cut via into some standard MT5 tooling as Bill suggested.

Those special 50’s could be duplicated functionally with slotted pull studs in CAT arbors, but still not my ideal of quick change perfection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You must of been thinking out loud - though I just read your post now. :D

What is pull stud thread in Cat 50?

Those special 50’s could be duplicated functionally with slotted pull studs in CAT arbors, but still not my ideal of quick change perfection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back