WTB: MT6 to 5C collet sleeve
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default WTB: MT6 to 5C collet sleeve

I am looking for a 5C collet sleeve to fit my 6 Morse Taper in my headstock.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by caddyman707 View Post
    Probably a SHORT MT 6 if its a lathe, not hor-bore, yah?

May as well JF make it, then.

Finding MT6 is hard to begin with. Bored for 5C is poultry-denture scarce.

Post Thanks / Like

American Standard 250 is a common lathe spindle taper about that size on the big end (MT6 is 2.494 while AM Std 250 is 2.500)

Am Std is .750" taper per foot on diameter - steeper than MT

All that info is covered in Machinery's Handbook

My 100 year old L&S has a 6MT, but that was then

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by johnoder View Post
    American Standard 250 is a common lathe spindle taper about that size on the big end (MT6 is 2.494 while AM Std 250 is 2.500)

Am Std is .750" taper per foot on diameter - steeper than MT

All that info is covered in Machinery's Handbook

My 100 year old L&S has a 6MT, but that was then
    Aye. The poster elsewhere claims to have a South Bend "Nordic 15". Which could pass for slab-sided "Taiwanese-generic" if you but closed one eye part way. Seem to have been made in France, some sizes, Spain for other sizes. "Badge engineering" as it is? Go Figure.

Others have tried a MT 6, citing the manual, but had 50% stick-out.

Nordic SB lathe spindle

One dealer who had one on-offer called it a MT4.

I've no klew what it is, nor would anyone else who has avoided the machine need to care.

If you HAVE one, matching "whatever" taper and gage-line is in front of you is dead-easy. Once that has been done, so is cutting a 5C closer taper into said adapter, in situ.

It gets harder only if you NEED it "harder" and might then wish to leave a skosh for TP grinding or abrasives, hi-spot, and "sweat-equity" after heat-treat.

Not exactly rocket-nozzle re-Babbiting, any of that.

Post Thanks / Like

Others have tried a MT 6, citing the manual, but had 50% stick-out.
    Good place to start likely a close idea of existing big end dia.

If the 50% stick out comes with a complete absence of wobble, you have then some things to "go-by"

There ARE soft sleeves with MT6 on OD just waiting to be intelligently altered

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by caddyman707 View Post
    I have a collet sleeve for a #6MT LATHE spindle made for a Nordic 15
    Send me an email
    Ted
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Aye. The poster elsewhere claims to have a South Bend "Nordic 15". Which could pass for slab-sided "Taiwanese-generic" if you but closed one eye part way. Others have tried a MT 6, citing the manual, but had 50% stick-out. One dealer who had one on-offer called it a MT4.

I've no klew what it is, nor would anyone else who has avoided the machine need to care.

If you HAVE one, matching "whatever" taper and gage-line is in front of you is dead-easy. Once that has been done, so is cutting a 5C closer taper into said adapter, in situ.

It gets harder only if you NEED it "harder" and might then wish to leave a skosh for TP grinding or abrasives, hi-spot, and "sweat-equity" after heat-treat.

Not exactly rocket-nozzle re-Babbiting, any of that.
    Perhaps you remember me listing these in this thread...
    FS: 5c Hand Lever Collet Attachment "Kits"

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by johnoder View Post
    Good place to start likely a close idea of existing big end dia.

If the 50% stick out comes with a complete absence of wobble, you have then some things to "go-by"
    There's the rub. Cited thread it wasn't clear even THAT part had been achieved, stick-out or no.

The "fewer surprises" approach might be to utilize a D1-(X) mounted 5C closer. THAT standard is a rigid one, and at least "some" Nordics used the D1 system.

There ARE soft sleeves with MT6 on OD just waiting to be intelligently altered
    Yahbut.. if, for example, a MT6 to MT 5 sleeve? Not good enough. One still needs to get greater "meat", as-in MT6 to MT 3 or so to insure there's enough to carve-away and still have a good 5C host.

Two and three step-downs at a go, so as to reduce stacking error, are hard enough to find, MT FIVE downward at economical spend. Just DID all that, recent 12 months, for the three I have here in MT5 (Alzmetall DP, HS AND TS, Cazeneuve HBX-360).

Given that the spindle-bore taper is not 100% known and/or has a bespoke sub-length and gage-line? (Don't they ALL?)

May as well start with a round of decent steel and DIY the entire job to Just FIT the bugger.

2CW ... and the steel dasn't actually cost a great deal more, given how SHORT the slug can be.

Not as if the OP had no lathe...