What's new
What's new

WTB Navy man is search of Machine tool Reconditioning by Edward F. Connelly

gresh125

Plastic
I am in search of MACHINE TOOL RECONDITIONING book by Edward F. Connelly

I am getting started in hand scraping and want step out on the right foot.

Thanks

Richard King I thought had some copies a while back and that would be one place to try. No idea on pricing. He's a contributor here as Richard King and you can find his posts often in the Machine Reconditioning discussion.

I am in search of MACHINE TOOL RECONDITIONING book by Edward F. Connelly

I am getting started in hand scraping and want step out on the right foot.

Thanks

Skip the initial chapters on scraping, if you mean that.

Go for ASSESSING first!

THEN, and only then .... come back and look at scraping as one of the many techniques.

AFTER you understand how to determine where, why, how, and to what goal you would or should scrape.

If-even scraping is the best path at all.

Situation, Mission, Execution... etc...

First, you have to have a clear - and documented - understanding of where you are starting from

That's easily as important as where you want to get to.

Think about it...

Situation:

You are four hundred feet below the surface of the Arctic sea....

A) Two hours dead, trapped in the wreckage of a crashed patrol aircraft

ELSE

B) Off watch, asleep in your warm bunk, healthy nuke sub. Routine patrol.

"Mission"....and the execution OF it ... might be different?

:)

Old Iron can be JUST as different. Some of it goeth for recycling. Some of it needs very little.

"Assess" first!

Decent book.

The chapters are just in the wrong SEQUENCE.

Honestly, before you drop some pretty serious money on a copy, even at a reduced price, you should find a copy you can borrow, to see if it offers you any information you can actually use, in a manner that makes any sense to you. I'd suggest the Public Library, check to see if they have an Inter-Library Loans program that they participate in.

I have a copy here, but it really never seemed that much of a beginners book to me, rather, a bunch of notes for someone with the prior experience to make them seem to make sense.

Dan Fisher is the current copyright holder/owner (his name is written inside the book as copyright holder)as he inherited it from Ray Connelly, Edwards younger brother. Dan has been suing people who have been selling or showing unauthorized copies of the book online. Scribe and Hobby machinist used to have it on there sites and has since removed it. I do sell the book on eBay and others who want to buy it. I mark it up compared to what Dan sells them for. I sell several copies a year and ship it out priority med. flat rate mail to protect it. It is old , but it has a lot of value to rookies needing info. I also sell a DVD - HSB stick on how to hand and power scrape on eBay. The OP sounds as if he is looking for a bargain. I have a copy of the 2nd addition that someone on Amazon was selling for $2000.00 lol...I just checked and Amazon has new copies selling for $249.00 I am about $100.00 less then that. New copies are the 14th addition and vacuum sealed in plastic.

Connolly makes the unabridged US tax code look like a fast-moving thriller. It is duller than sun-dried dogshit. It could be sold by prescription only for cases of severe insomnia. I'm not saying you shouldn't buy it, but other books are cheaper if you're looking for paper shimstock.

Damn! And I thought textbooks were expensive.

At least it's available.

There's a book I want that is out of print but still in copyright, so it's a case of "I can't get it, but I can't copy it". Author is still alive, but doesn't seem to be interested in reprinting it.

Actual selling prices range from $650 to $1,100.

Steve

Connolly makes the unabridged US tax code look like a fast-moving thriller. It is duller than sun-dried dogshit. It could be sold by prescription only for cases of severe insomnia. I'm not saying you shouldn't buy it, but other books are cheaper if you're looking for paper shimstock.

ROFL!

Diogenes? Put out your lamp.

We've got a candidate for that "honest man" you've been searching for!

I liked it. It's tedious, but it's full of information -- everything you need to know to scrape a machine, except for the practice.

Just buy new from the link in post #2. You're unlikely to find a cheaper used copy.

At least it's available.

There's a book I want that is out of print but still in copyright, so it's a case of "I can't get it, but I can't copy it". Author is still alive, but doesn't seem to be interested in reprinting it.

Actual selling prices range from $650 to $1,100.

Steve

Hmm. Borrow it and hire a monk to copy it, then wall the monk up inside his cell.....

Back