What's new
What's new

WTB NMTB40 shank for Enco boring head

Gearclash

Aluminum
Looking for an NMTB40 shank for an Enco automatic boring head. I have an R8 shank for it but an NMTB40 mill. If some one needs the R8 shank I will let it go. Threads for the boring head are .938 dia/12 TPI. E295E928-9156-4363-B6CA-990D087B66B6.jpg

Try to find another Enco or Gamet boring head with the shank you want. Sell the one with the R8 shank. Otherwise figure out how to make your own shank.

Thanks for the ideas. I’m not in a huge hurry to find an NMTB40 shank, just something that I should get sometime. I would like to avoid the adapter if possible but it may be the way I have to go. I have seen very very few NMTB40 shanks for the Enco head I have, definitely none for sale at the moment that I’ve seen.

One thing -- I am kinda stuck with this boring head or any like it with the same shank thread specs. I bought this head for a specific “end boring” line boring project and now have a boring bar that is threaded to accept this head. That was kind of a speedy toy to get made. Also why I hesitate to make an NMTB40 shank for it. Out of my abilities at the moment and not cheap to have done.

Gearclash,

If you decide to let go of that R-8 shank, I'll be glad to buy it from you for a reasonable price. Free is okay, too. PM me.

Ken

If I were to make a shank I would start with a 40 taper Microbore bar. I found some as cheap as $25 on the bay.

Believe it or not, it is .9375-12 thread. I tripled checked mine and that is what I got. I'll see if a M24 x 2 tap will go, I doubt it will, that was my thoughts, too. Ken

Looking for an NMTB40 shank for an Enco automatic boring head. I have an R8 shank for it but an NMTB40 mill. If some one needs the R8 shank I will let it go. Threads for the boring head are .938 dia/12 TPI. View attachment 329880
Hey Gearclash,

Were you ever able to find the NMTB40 shank for your enco boring head?
I have a Enco automatic facing and boring head with what I believe is a NMTB40 shank, and wouldn't you know if our bridgeport is a R8.

If you still have your R8 shank, and ours proves to be NMTB40 a swap is very much in order.

IMG_20221130_205113584.jpg

@TorontoBuilder I still have the R-8 shank. I would still very much like to trade the R-8 for an NMTB40. My boring head is different so the question is are the threads the same

I apologize for the long delay in responding. It has been a hell of a ten days.

Okay, so I'll dismount the boring head from the taper and inspect the threads and the taper itself to confirm that what I have is what you need. I'll measure and photograph and send you the information. You do the same with the thread on the R8 shank.

If everything matches up we have a great swap. I should have info on Monday

I would surmise that is because yours looks to be a Gamet/Enco made in France unit and mine I’m pretty sure is an Asian made Enco; mine does not say Made in France.

Back