What's new
What's new

WTB Old Bridgeport 9 x 42 table casting or equivalent from a scrapped machine

Needed for a project. Any condition will be considered.

Applaud the thought.

May I suggest "many" tables are better candidates, (thicker, straighter, less likely to have the NOTORIOUS long-BeePee table "droop") ... and also probably less in demand as spare/repair parts.

MY "project" one is a part-out from a close to War-One era B&S # 1 "Universal".

Parting out B&S #1 Mill - Step pulley, OC gear box, Universal

Turned out to be a LOVELY bit of kit! As suspected from the fotos, plus others Jeff sent me, it must have led a life with a fixture plate atop it the whole time, as it doesn't have ANY tool rash, nor evidence of "peening".

There could be German, French, Belgian, Dutch, Northern Italian, English, Basque, Swiss, or even "former East bloc" tables closer to you?

MOST would be stiffer and straighter than a BirdPort table!

Good hunting!

Applaud the thought.

May I suggest "many" tables are better candidates, (thicker, straighter, less likely to have the NOTORIOUS long-BeePee table "droop") ... and also probably less in demand as spare/repair parts.

MY "project" one is a part-out from a close to War-One era B&S # 1 "Universal".

Parting out B&S #1 Mill - Step pulley, OC gear box, Universal

Turned out to be a LOVELY bit of kit! As suspected from the fotos, plus others Jeff sent me, it must have led a life with a fixture plate atop it the whole time, as it doesn't have ANY tool rash, nor evidence of "peening".

There could be German, French, Belgian, Dutch, Northern Italian, English, Basque, Swiss, or even "former East bloc" tables closer to you?

MOST would be stiffer and straighter than a BirdPort table!

Good hunting!

I have been looking for several years to no avail. Maybe there is a special heaven for scrapped machines, but I haven't found it,

What size table are you looking for?
HGR has a lot of random stuff like that, I almost bought a 6 foot x 6 foot t-slot plate (as a welding jig table) from them for like 300$ one time, was so heavy I wasn’t sure I could even move it so I passed. I see smaller ones at times although more expensive For some reason. The plate I seen I think was from some kinda very large machine.

Probably the whole machine gets scrapped...then and there so no part out of parts.
Costs money to strip it so just a added expense.
suppose you have to be asking at the right time to the right person.

If you call the shop during business hours next week and ask for Barry, I know we got a few old clunkers around that arent gonna be getting rebuilt. Not BP though.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

If you call the shop during business hours next week and ask for Barry, I know we got a few old clunkers around that arent gonna be getting rebuilt. Not BP though.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

Thanks, I'll call tomorrow. I need a T slot table to build a shaper table extension with. This will allow me to mount a large dividing head and tail stock center to machine axle splines and the like with my 18" shaper.

I have been looking for several years to no avail. Maybe there is a special heaven for scrapped machines, but I haven't found it,

You'd have to "put the word out" in advance. Nothing lies around for long in Europe. No space. Fussy "regulations".

Off to the smelter it goes.

But if a machine is ABOUT to make that last journey and someone knows yer looking, THEN you could luck out.

I snagged my B&S table partly because it was NOT one of the items most folks doing their own rebuild even wanted out of a part-out. Most are seeking traverse wheels, leadscrews & nut, gibs, spindle & bearings or such. The parts that wear most, break or go walk-about most often, IOW.

See H&W's input, for example. And I say again .. the "long" BirdPort table is KNOWN to be prone to droop. Not that others do-never. But many are thicker and "significantly" flatter, BirdPort's own shorter table among them.

Some metal yards will let you leave your number and what you want so they can call you if it comes in. I have seen people buy machine shop stuff, rock drill steel and safes that way. In just about any case, you're going to pay more than scrap and do all the work.

Back