What's new
What's new

WTB Power feed parts for the table of a DoAll 1612 contour saw

Thanks John, the manual is helpful. I would like to be able to ask you for dimensions if possible in the event that I can not find these parts.

Can do - never installed the pieces on mine, so fairly easy to get to pieces. I don't have the fancy "toothy" part that pushes on the work piece, and have yet to "make" replacement cables

Do you have the several tapped holes on rear edge of table?

Can do - never installed the pieces on mine, so fairly easy to get to pieces. I don't have the fancy "toothy" part that pushes on the work piece, and have yet to "make" replacement cables

Do you have the several tapped holes on rear edge of table?

John, yes I do have those three 3/8-16 holes. My machine has a 24" table and the hole spacing is about 6.125". I would like to do this for the sake of completeness. I don't think this power feed feature is of much value when making one-off parts, but in a repetitive process, the feature would be worth its weight in gold.

This has been quite an exercise. It is a ex-USARMY machine in 208V. It was left out in the rain for several months. Corrosion was the major issue, not wear. I have already had to make several replacement parts because they were not only not available, but very expensive from DoALL when they had them. The machine is almost complete with the exception of the power feed and blade welder. I am in the process of converting the machine to 400V 3PH, 50Hz. That will be done today.

A little more clarity and detail - parts that apply to 3613 and 1612

Higher res can be emailed

Attachments

• Feed Parts_1.jpg
    Feed Parts_1.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 138
  • Feed Parts_2.jpg
    Feed Parts_2.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 135
  • Feed Parts_3.jpg
    Feed Parts_3.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 94
  • Feed Parts_4.jpg
    Feed Parts_4.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 81
A little more clarity and detail - parts that apply to 3613 and 1612

Higher res can be emailed

John, if you could email those that would really be a lot of help. I could then make a query to DoALL and get a price quote. My email is steveatlusardidotde I am confused as to which chain is used at the table because of the two 90 degree turns. Perhaps it is BB chain????. Perhaps even 7x7 cable or a combination. I have not been able to determine this because the resolution of the drawings I have is so poor.

I too have one of these 16 inch DoALL countour band saws which is missing the auto feed mechanism. All that remains is the shin-knocker foot pedal, the counterweight and the internal mechanism for adjusting the feed rate. Has anyone actually used this thing? it seems to me like an unnecessarily complex torture mechanism straight out of the original batman tv series.

Photo Index - Do-All (Continental Machine Specialties Co.) - 36 inch contour | VintageMachinery.org

Some photos of a power feed that I found on ebay and submitted to V. M.
It was sold. for a.36". Could be fabed with 16" dimensions

Wow! Thank you for these images. This is very important because I have never seen them before. They are usually missing from every saw I have seen. With the IPB that John Oder has so kindly provided and these photos, I will query DoALL for a quotation for these parts. If the parts are no longer available or are ridiculously priced, I will have to make them myself. I anticipate that task will be very labor intensive for just a one-off assembly, but in that case I will still the actual dimensions. Neither the IPBs nor the photos can provide those. As a last resort, I can make educated guesses, but I'd rather have the original dimensions of course.

The fact that these parts are normally missing says that they were probably very rarely used. I can understand that because the mechanism will only have use on long jobs consisting of many parts. It is , none the less, a pretty slick design that will work very well and I think well worth having. After I do my query, I will add to this thread the results with the quoted prices if available at all.

There is some unnecessary complication - DoAll used steel pulleys with loose ball bearings that were one way or another held in by a steel hub - when such as this would work just fine

airframe pulleys - Bing

ph

I guess you're saying that it may be better to make everything myself simply because of newer technology. I think you are correct. It isn't just the pulleys John, other components may also fit that same bill. Please note though that the DoALL pulleys are caged, keeping the cable within the pulley track. That feature is pretty important at set-up time. In point of fact though, no ball bearings are needed at all. A simple bushing is more than enough., considering the low speed and low loads involved.

Wow! Thank you for these images. This is very important because I have never seen them before. They are usually missing from every saw I have seen. With the IPB that John Oder has so kindly provided and these photos, I will query DoALL for a quotation for these parts. If the parts are no longer available or are ridiculously priced, I will have to make them myself. I anticipate that task will be very labor intensive for just a one-off assembly, but in that case I will still the actual dimensions. Neither the IPBs nor the photos can provide those. As a last resort, I can make educated guesses, but I'd rather have the original dimensions of course.

The fact that these parts are normally missing says that they were probably very rarely used. I can understand that because the mechanism will only have use on long jobs consisting of many parts. It is , none the less, a pretty slick design that will work very well and I think well worth having. After I do my query, I will add to this thread the results with the quoted prices if available at all.

That setup in the photo was priced at $650.00 and it sold. I thought it was way over priced.
I have all but the 90 deg. pusher. If you need any dimension's I could get that. mine is for a 36" so width would be to wide.
I could photo a disassembled wheel and the cage that holds the cable on if needed.

Actually the wheels can be adjusted to width.

\Edit ;
The cages just retain the cables until they are under tension. A copper pipe cap of the right diameter could be machined to work

61CUW0B+WNL._AC_SL1050_.jpg 2 inch cap. Stainless would be better if available

30644 - Elkhart 30644 - 3-1/2" Copper Cap
3 1/2"

John, yes I do have those three 3/8-16 holes. My machine has a 24" table and the hole spacing is about 6.125". I would like to do this for the sake of completeness. I don't think this power feed feature is of much value when making one-off parts, but in a repetitive process, the feature would be worth its weight in gold.
One off parts is where it shines! Lots of repetitive parts, straight to the laser cutter or water jet. I have the whole kit and use it all the time. Dead easy to use and it really cuts down on the effort required to saw anything. I just cut some 4" 7075, effortless, just steer the part and it just glides through. It is a much better system than my Grob bandsaw that uses an air cylinder and can only cut straight.

Back