WTB Power feed parts for the table of a DoAll 1612 contour saw - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by M.B. Naegle View Post
    How would you guys make the pulley shrouds? The originals were die stamped sheet metal correct? I'm thinking about making mine from solid round stock and using a rotary table to mill the slots in place.
    A big thank you again to John for measuring everything. Making all these parts is a lot of work and time, but I'm retired now, so I have the time and I don't have the kind of disposable money DoALL will want for these parts, so my path is clear. I will make these parts this winter. I will make the shrouds by cutting them out of bar stock, probably aluminum and then hard anodizing them. I have been concerned about the cable from the beginning. That's why I asked John to identify it. This thing was designed back in the '30s, so steel cable was all there was then. Today we have aramid fiber rope that has very low stretch and is lighter and much easier on the hands. The loads are very low and well within the capability of aramid rope. I'm inclined to go that way. I also like the idea M.B.Naegle came up with. I'm pretty certain DoALL will want a fortune for the pusher, Building a .DXF file and then cutting them from 1/4" sheet is the way to go. Even if a file does not exist, a photo and overall dimensions would be enough to extrapolate adequately to build the file. Cutting the sheet could also be done with plasma, water jet or laser. I don't think it matters so much. What would matter is a survey of interested parties that may be interested in these parts. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. In the case of the pusher, it would make a difference in cost. So, who else wants to play?

2. Likes M.B. Naegle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Shrouds...

51 years ago in the fourth year of the apprenticeship we were required to design, build and test a die. I made a pile of these covers from brass - maybe I can find them

They were never trimmed - all still have a wrinkly flange attached since I did not have enough spring pressure on the hold down as the "cup" was being formed

They are a bit large on the OD but maybe can be made to work
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cover.jpg  

4. Likes mllud22, M.B. Naegle liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Shroud
    I haven't stopped thinking about those cable guides either. The bottom of a stainless cup or container. I google stainless cups , dishes , ect.
    https://www.amazon.com/FineDine-Stai...0409051&sr=8-4

Here are some cups the bottom could be cut off but the gauge is probably too thin. Getting the right diameter with straight sides is what's needed. A black iron pipe cap of the right diameter trimmed up in the lathe ?? To Brittle?
    There is something out there the right size.

John, That's a real test to make that type of die as a class project. I know a machinist that makes trim dies that made a shallow progressive die for a condensate catch pan. A one hit in the press. He finished it but said screw that I'll build trim dies.

Your class project may work though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For those of you who want to restore a DBW 1A blade welder. The lamp it has is no longer available. In a previous post I identified the bulb required as a E11 base lamp. It is not, it is an E12 base lamp and I have bought a compatible LED replacement from AMAZON. It is a 6W lamp, 75 watt equivalent and it fits within the original shade, no easy task. It is sold in pairs for $15.99 and is 220 volt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I received confirmation that these parts are no longer available from DoAll with the single exception of the Pusher/Work holding jaw new PN 5-013007. I have not yet received a quote.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The pusher plate itself would be a great candidate for laser cutting. Just saying. If someone sends me a drawing, I'l be happy to get a price on some as a group buy. [email protected] I just had some 3/8" thick parts laser cut and they came out very nice. Dan

9. Likes steve-l, M.B. Naegle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I received confirmation that all these external parts are no longer available from DoAll with the single example of the Pusher Part # 5-013007. This is still being made. The quoted price FOB is $332.60 as of yesterday.