What's new
What's new

WTB - Precision Machinists Level

Domodude17

Aluminum
Looking for a machinists level to assist in leveling my South Bend 9A lathe. Let me know what you have!

Looking for a machinists level to assist in leveling my South Bend 9A lathe. Let me know what you have!

How long is your bed?

I have a Nordyke Marmon & Company level I'm not using much.

Forty-two inches long, sole is about four inches wide.

Millwright's kit. Flour mills. Two-man lift.

Unless you have a crane?

:)

All you NEED is a good carpenter's level. It isn't just the SB. It's that what they are usually mounted to can only preserve but so much of the "goodness" out of your most careful efforts. And then it has moved. IOW, your best work just doesn't "last" in any sort of permanent fashion that you can predict. It may move. Or not.

Any "decent" level, then just checked more often, works OK.

The short "workshop", "engineers" or "block" levels of 3" to 6" - placed atop a ground parallel if need be - are cheaper, and plenty good enough.

A high-precision level will just drive you nuts trying to even get the bubble CLOSE.
DAMHIKT 10" SB, 11" Logan, 1959/60, both pedestal, not bench, and BRAND NEW!

I use a 12” Starrett 98. They are quite plentiful on eBay.

Ryan

I have one-each Lufkin and Scherr, similar. All of those are chase-the-bubble-til-f**k-yerself TEDIOUS overkill for LEVELING a SB ...and priced accordingly.

We use those for scraping assessment and progress checks.

Starrett also makes a mechanics or bench level for far less money, even new, at several of the "usual suspects" and that's all you need.

Try Zorro, MSC, etc to see it. Starrett's own website is actively user hostile .

"We use those for scraping assessment and progress checks".
Really, what are you or what have you ever done?
Bob

Back