What's new
What's new

WTB quality Vernier Caliper

just be sure to get a modern one . 50 grads is the best . the old-ass starrett and b+s with the miniature 25 pt
vernier just plain suck to read. i'd rather have something i could read. the best deals are going to be
japanese generics , like Kanon , NSK(nsk/fowler ...just don't get a fowler that's not NSK..they are trash)
Helios- germany, VIS- poland .

the standards like starrett, b-s , mti are wonderful .....they just hold their value better than others .
i appreciate verniers , but now that my eyesight is not so great, i just use my Kanon 24" when i have to.
everything else is MTI digimatics.

just be sure to get a modern one . 50 grads is the best . the old-ass starrett and b+s with the miniature 25 pt vernier just plain suck to read. i'd rather have something i could read.

That would be the Starrett 123 vernier. The old one is the 122.

You can read a 123 vernier almost as fast as a dial caliper.

Note that you will see people selling 8", 14" and 26" Starrett 123 calipers. That is a misnomer - the scale might go to those lengths, but the last two inches are not usable because of the length of the vernier scale - they are really 6, 12 and 24 inches.

I have a 6 and a 12 and I love them.

Steve

I bought both my boys vernier calipers on ebay. I wanted them to know how to read a vernier. The Starrett calipers are nice but no better than some others that I found to be much cheaper. Some of the swiss calipers are very nice and often go pretty cheap. I got some calipers that were made by mauser and sold by scherr-tumico that are very nice too. I think I got all of them for under $50.

Best verniers I've ever seen are Swiss Etalon. I like Mit for mics and digital calipers but their vernier feels clunky compared to Etalon.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

just be sure to get a modern one . 50 grads is the best . the old-ass starrett and b+s with the miniature 25 pt
vernier just plain suck to read. i'd rather have something i could read. the best deals are going to be
japanese generics , like Kanon , NSK(nsk/fowler ...just don't get a fowler that's not NSK..they are trash)
Helios- germany, VIS- poland .

the standards like starrett, b-s , mti are wonderful .....they just hold their value better than others .
i appreciate verniers , but now that my eyesight is not so great, i just use my Kanon 24" when i have to.
everything else is MTI digimatics.

Are the 25 pt scales hard to read because of the detail and tight lines or because of the figuring/mathematics/conversion involved?

I run a 8"mit, it's got some years on it but it's still very smooth and accurate to boot. I've compared it a few times with mit digi cals and it was spot on.

Are the 25 pt scales hard to read because of the detail and tight lines or because of the figuring/mathematics/conversion involved?

it is not just that the old style verniers were harder to read (they were... same goes with vernier height gages) the ancient calipers didn't have depth/step capacity. a 50 grad vernier , 2 inches long is very
easy to read compared to a 25 grad , less than an inch .

the smaller one is also harder to read because my old eyes are turning to shit and i can't fucking see in the
first place.

I genuinely wonder why some people prefer verniers vs. digital (or even dial calipers). No battery/less chance of malfunction/higher durability or there is something else? I can understand that you may want to have a pair hanging around in a car or shop to be used in a pinch for field work, as a backup or in a harsh environment. But it's hard for me to believe that anyone would prefer to use them for everyday work nowadays although they're, indeed, bullet proof.

Am I mistaken or just not taking into consideration such a phenomenon as masochism? :)

FWIW, I forgot when I used my verniers last time and have never missed them.

Last edited:
The one reason some of us old timers trust a good vernier is because they don't slip. The only way you can truly trust a dial is to run the dial back to zero after taking a reading, to make sure it didn't slip. Yes, on rare occasions, even the good dials will hit a chip in the rack. Verniers don't. Don't misunderstand me, I use dial calipers all the time, but I do know they will lie.

JH

I have an 8", 14", 26" and 38" Starrett 123 models for sale. Like someone else mentioned, they actually read 2" shorter than the marked graduations. PM me if interested.

Jack
Machinist Tools

Jack, I think I may have found a pair, but I do have another measuring device that I need. I'll touch base with you via pm.

Back