What's new
What's new

WTB reasonably priced Cap Screw Counterbores

kenscabs

Cast Iron
A couple of times a year I need to counterbore something. Prices are all over the map, a 21 piece set for $9.99, I don't think so. A keo for $500, to use 5 times a year, doesn't make sense. APT seems reasonable. Any other suggestions?

I pay about $15-25 for a choose-your-own-pilot counterbore and about $5-10 for a pilot, which I could make in a pinch. Mostly my counterbore diameters are under 3/4". Larger ones would be more expensive, even from the "value" brands.

I faced this problem some years ago when I had to make some parts with counterbores. I am always on a shoestring budget so I needed an economical way. This is what I came up with:

attachment.php

It is an index box that is partially filled with the original B&D Bullet drill bits. They have a short pilot section that provides the normal centering action of a standard bit but the remaining size of the hole is bored with cutting edges that are more or less at 90 degrees to the axis. So it can make a flat bottomed hole.

They are used in this manner: due to the odd sizes of the short pilot section of the bit, you can not use the normal procedure of drilling the clearance hole first. Instead, you use the Bullet drill first and go to the depth needed for your bolt head. Then you switch to the clearance sized drill and finish the hole.

In addition to the reversal of the order of drilling operations, there are some other differences. First, B&D (and now DeWalt) does not seem to tightly control the angle of the primary cutting edges. So some of the bits will make a flat bottom that is a bit lower at the edges and higher near the clearance hole. This is not a big consideration as most materials, even semi-hard steels, will quickly flatten out and conform to the bottom of the head of a hardened cap screw.

Another difference is that it is hard to grind this geometry with a sharp corner between those primary cutting edges and the pilot section. There will be a small radius there. You can see this more clearly in the photo below of the shop made counterbore that I made. This is not a real problem because most cap screws will have a corresponding radius between the flat bottom of the head and their shank. In many, dare I say most cases, it is even necessary to use a small countersink to relieve this area when using either a conventional counterbore or these bits.

The final difference is that you will not be able to get as close a match between the counterbore diameter and the screw head's diameter. This difference will be less than 1/32" on the diameter or less than 1/64" on each side and is hardly noticeable in the final assembly.

In all, these bits are an excellent and very economical way to produce counterbores. I have created this index of the sizes I needed for standard SHCSs at about the cost of only one or two actual counterbores.

Black & Decker no longer makes this style of drill bit. But DeWalt does still sell them. And I have had to purchase some replacements due to hard inclusions in some work.

It is also possible to create a DIY counterbore with simple techniques in the shop. I made this one using only a standard electric drill and a Dremel tool with abrasive bits. It has the advantage of having a pilot section that is actually the diameter of the clearance hole so it can be used after drilling that clearance hole. This starts with a very dull drill bit:

attachment.php

I took numerous readings with calipers while grinding the pilot and stopped when it was about one or two thousandths undersized to fit the pilot hole. This is the simple set-up I used:

attachment.php

Who needs a stinking T&C grinder anyway? Comment: That's my old bench vise. I have a much nicer one now.

Aliexpress 7 pcs M3-M12 set for about 20 usd has been work-able for occasional use(probably less than 30 bores even for the most used M6 and M8 sizes in a year) but I see only metric sets available. And I'm guessing you are looking for imperial.

A couple of times a year I need to counterbore something. Prices are all over the map, a 21 piece set for $9.99, I don't think so. A keo for $500, to use 5 times a year, doesn't make sense. APT seems reasonable. Any other suggestions?

*yawn* Buy the "$9.99" 'set' [1]. When you have a need, pick yer fit from the set.

Take the dimensions off it.

Then buy the few GOOD ones [2] yah use oftenest.

Or just make one, "D Drill" stye, piloted. Torch harden it. Do the do, toss it in with the earlier ones, corner of a drawer. Or modify one of those dull or bustid drills, reamers, or end-mills yah been saving for just such a need.

In due course, you'll already have those you need 75% or better of the time, and a solution within fifteen to thirty minutes, regardless.

Problem never really ENDS, but it don't come up but about onct every five year after the first sixty year of this.

How hard is that?

Yah wouldn't want to get out of practice at making' yer own drills and reamers ANYWAY, wudja?

Yah can MAKE one faster than yah can get saddled up for a round-trip to a brick and mortar store or get an online order even PLACED and paid for, let alone shipped and received, after all.

Seriously.

What's the POINT of being a "tool making animal" if yah "just won't".

:D

[1] More like $99.95, "Shars", two hundred bucks or so, Travers Tool... see also KABACO // "KBC"etc.

[2] Production Tool Supply carries Keo and even Alvord-Polk if yah need that: Cutting Edge Quality Since 1881 | Alvord-Polk

We drill/counterbore a lot for 3/8 SHCSs. Typically we've purchased fixed-pilot ATP's from MSC. Lately I've been ordering them from McMaster who also usually stocks ATP brand. However, one time they sent us a couple of Brubaker counterbores because ATP had an extended lead-time. These were 3 flute (ATP is four in this size) and they were the best we had used in terms of quality and longevity. I'm not sure if you can buy direct from Brubaker, but maybe you can request that brand from McMaster. That's not to say we haven't done just fine with ATP, they've performed well for us for years.
(all manual machines, R8 spindles, for what it's worth)

3/8 c'bore from McMaster is <$40 +shipping to my door in two days. A 39/64 (1/32 oversized for 3/8 SHCS) drill bit is $32 +shipping, plus time to grind it, plus it only fits in one of my drill chucks as the rest are 1/2" capacity. Hardly worth the effort (for me) to make a c'bore. May be a different story for the OP for only doing a couple c'bores a year.

Take a look at the message I sent.

Steve

I paid $150 for about 500 lbs of piloted counterbores and step drills from itty bitty to 5MT shank monsters at an auction. I doubt I've used more than a few. Turned a few of the step drills back into drills. CNC does that stuff so much better.

Back spot faces are pretty neat though. I usually grab those up if I stumble onto a deal.

Back