WTB: Set of metric mandrels
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default WTB: Set of metric mandrels

I have a nice set of inch tapered (0 to +.0005 I think?) hardened and ground lathe mandrels that are center drilled on both ends.

I haven't been able to find a metric counter part to this set, although I do a lot of metric bores, and it would be really handy to have a similar set that was hard and with a very slight taper, rather than making them when I need them that aren't as precise, aren't that hard, and aren't tapered.

Does anyone know of a specific model number of a metric set, so that I could be watching for it on ebay?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JasonPAtkins View Post
    I have a nice set of inch tapered (0 to +.0005 I think?) hardened and ground lathe mandrels that are center drilled on both ends.

I haven't been able to find a metric counter part to this set, although I do a lot of metric bores, and it would be really handy to have a similar set that was hard and with a very slight taper, rather than making them when I need them that aren't as precise, aren't that hard, and aren't tapered.

Does anyone know of a specific model number of a metric set, so that I could be watching for it on ebay?
    Person would need a LOT of same-size work to justify even four of the fixed-size type.

Lathe Mandrels

I "have" the smaller sets of these instead:

Expanding Mandrels

I say "have" because when you need such, you need it, and they are inexpensive enough to justify not making my own fixed-size ones, one-at-a-time, "as needed".

Here, they do NOT get used often!

The more useful kit is a full set of all the sizes of single-enders that Breakhart makes:

Breakheart Tool Company Products, 8 pc expanding arbor set, 3 pc expanding arbor set, 4 pc expanding arbor set, 5C Collet Stop Set, 5C Expanding Arbors

"More useful" because they are soft 12L steel so one can easily machine them to exactly suit a need, steps or shoulders incuded, do it again, split-sleeve back up, replace one or few of the set when need be.

Or make yer own, as I have done, but... I cannot do it for as little as Breakhart charges, so I buy theirs instead.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting. The set I have came with a lathe I bought, I think it's 3/8 to 1-1/4 by 16ths or something - I guess I didn't realize how expensive that would be since I didn't pay separately for it. I get a LOT of use out of them though!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have expanding mandrel sets from KO Lee (USA) and a set made in Germany. Any of these sets can do either inch or metric bores within their diameter range. Last I looked, these are very expensive at new price. The sleeves are a bit fragile, so there is a risk in buying used ones.

That said, I mostly use 5C tooling rather than working between centers.

Larry