What's new
What's new

WTB: For Sharp 1740K lathe: Tailstock wheel, Headstock sightglass, Manual.

rogpmc

Plastic
Hi all,

Just picked up my first full size lathe, a Sharp 1740K, and besides badly needing an operator and parts manual, since it has features that my previous hobby lathes have not had, I need a couple bits to allow it to get running after some shipping damage that no one wants to take responsibility for.

1) Looking for a tail-stock wheel as this one took a dive and snapped.

2) Small, but a show stopper. Site Glass for the headstock flow monitoring. Right now if I turned it on, I'm pretty sure it would irrigate my shop floor until empty, as an oil flow pipe is point directly out of the headstock. Needs to be a press-in, and depending on which step it's meant for, either 29 or 35.5mm OD. Probably the former.

All my Googling and Binging have failed so far, so I'm all ears. THANKS!

Shared album - Roger Albert - Google Photos

Call Sharp,they are still selling lathes. Second turn up a piece of clear plastic with a oring groove for the site glass . Get a generic hand wheel from Mcmaster/carr and mod to fit.

Tail-stock wheel might be taken to a welding shop and be brazed back together. That lathe can make a sight window..
but measure the hoe and post sight window needed.. You can turn the OD if needing size.

Thanks guys,
The seller dug up a handwheel for me and I found the odd size sight glass is the same as on an Acer 1740. Acer was able to get me a sight-glass and some way-wipers.

I've also figured out the lack of oiling is from a segment of oil line between the remote tank and the headstock. Just need to plumb and prime it and figure out some interlock keeping the main F + R contactors from energizing. This has turned out to be a bigger project than expected.

I have a manual for it now, but it lacks info on a couple key things, all in the lubrication department

1) The TYPE of oil for the headstock (it just lists the level in the tank, which has its own site-glass anyway) Any ideas?

2) The oil for the apron's one-shot oiler? Same as for a mill's way oil?

3) At the tailstock end, there is an oil fill plug that appears to lubricate the bearings for the 4 control/power shafts. What oil type should it get, and what level (up to bottom of the fill maybe)?

Thanks
Roger

Hi Roger,
I just wanted to check in with you to see how your 1740k was coming along. I had bought a Sharp 1760K a couple of years ago and I'm just now getting around to getting it going. I got it cheap because the motor was missing so I just converted it to single phase. I found this thread because I was also looking for what oil to use. The manual says to use Shell Tellus 27 for the headstock and feed gearbox, and Shell Tonna 33 for the apron/carriage and everything else. You probably have already figured out from info on this site that the alternative for Tellus 27 is plain old ISO 32 AW hydraulic oil, and Mobil Vactra 2 to replace the obsolete Tonna 33. I didn't know about the Acer lathe until I read your post. It looks to me that the non- variable speed Acer 17" series is identical to the Sharp. I'm surprised that they didn't have the tailstock wheel that you were looking for, unless they didn't want to sell it separately. One thing I did notice on the Acer is that it has two oil level sight windows- one for the headstock box, and a separate one for the the feed gear box. My machine only has the one window for the headstock box. I'm assuming that yours is the same. On that note I was wondering if you have figured out how to check the level on the feed gear box? There is a glass tube oil level sight and a pipe elbow and plug on the lower back of the machine, but I haven't figured out what that is for. It seems like the fill elbow on the back of the machine is for filling a remote reservoir, but the oil in the reservoir in my machine seems to be way oil. Anyway if you have any insight on that please let me know.
Thanks Much!
Manny

Just a tip, if you ever need to fit a sight glass and turn one up from plastic or if you have old crummy faded sight glasses one trick I found is to give the plastic it's final clear polish with a plain old piece of copy paper. 500+ rpm or so and the paper will polish it nice and clear.

Hello, I recently picked up a Sharp 1640K and am also looking to see if anyone knows about the pipe fitting and site glass on the back , rear bottom of lathe. I haven't found the fill cap for the headstock either. I did pick up a copy of a manual from Ozark tools but not able to find out where the fill cap is. If you know please let me know.
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_2652.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2756.JPG
    IMG_2756.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 3

Back