What's new
What's new

WTB: South Bend 16 parts: half nut lever, leadscrew, sliding gear handle

hahnpv

Plastic
I recently purchased a South Bend 16" with an 8' bed. It was missing, and I'm looking to source, the following parts:

1) Half nut engagement mechanism. The machine has a cover over the hole where the half nut engage lever should be.
2) Leadscrew. The original leadscrew was missing and replaced with an unthreaded splined shaft, which drives the worm gear in the apron for feed but obviously can't be used for threading.
3) Sliding gear handle. A previous owner removed the handle and shimmed the sliding gear permanently into the "out" location. The shaft and gear are original, just need the handle.

Thanks,

philip

I have all that for a 13" with a 5 foot bed.
Would any 13" stuff work for you?

The leadscrew would be too short, but could potentially be extended with a solid shaft. I'm not sure about the sliding handle or the half nut mechanism. Let me do some research.

What were you thinking price-wise?

philip

The leadscrew would be too short, but could potentially be extended with a solid shaft. I'm not sure about the sliding handle or the half nut mechanism. Let me do some research.

What were you thinking price-wise?

philip

I have a leadscrew for a 16 in good shape, it’s 77 1/2 overall, and the right side mounting bracket for it. Also a rack (52”) so guess they are off a 6’?

not sure, ill have a good look and check it for wear. It would however be best for you to get the right one for your lathe even though its not likely you will be threading full length that often, so keep looking. maybe check with the South Bend guys, Ted (Latheman) is one, I think?

Back