What's new
What's new

WTB Springfield Lathe Taper Attachment/Threading Dial

Adavis4908

Plastic
Hello all, as the title says, I'm looking to buy a taper attachment for my 1943 16" Springfield and a threading dial. If anyone has parts available please reach out. Thanks!

Don't get your hopes too far up. :D I've had a nearly identical thread up for ten months so far, with exactly zero replies.

I've had my '42 since 2013, and I've basically never seen Springfield parts for sale. Never seen one parted out, haven't heard of anyone scrapping one. (Which I'm sure happens, just no one seems to bother ever listing any parts beforehand.)

If you do ever run across a source of parts, let us know, eh? :D

Doc.

Doc, I found someone willing to sell me a taper attachment off their Springfield, I'm picking it up next weekend so I'll give some updates!

Doc, I did not get the shoe, I'll have to make one myself, I'm also missing the feed rod. I've only seen complete ones in old ads online, btw (there's a couple HUGE Springfields for sale on Ebay right now with taper attachments) and I'm not going to even bother trying to find one, I was surprised to even convince someone to sell the taper attachment off theirs. This lathe has seen it's fair share of use but still runs good. It would be a good candidate for a restoration

If you haven't read my thread here, when I got my 16x56", it came with what turned out to be a Lodge & Shipley taper attachment. With a plate steel conglomeration to mate them together, since both the bed and the taper casting had female dovetails. :D

I didn't get a 'shoe' either- well, except for some badly made welded piece of junk that some previous owner had never finished or fitted. Figured I'd buy a chunk of Dura-bar and make one, though that means I'm gonna have to figure out how to fit a tapered dovetail gib, too. :)

And if by "feed rod" you mean the small diameter rod that goes above the cross slide screw, that's easy. Mine was missing too, and I just picked up a chunk of... I think it was 5/16" ground rod from McMaster. Threaded one end, milled a couple light wrench flats at the other, and Bob's yer uncle.

Doc.

Back