What's new
What's new

WTB steady rest and or follower rest for SM 1340

I looked for a steady rest for my 1120 for years. In the end I adapted one from a 10" Taiwanese lathe ... it was "simply" a matter of making a new saddle/bridge piece to adapt it to the SM vee bed.
.. Gregg

I can't figure out how to post the PDF's I have. I could email them to you if you know how to post them.

IIRC, this site doesn't accept pdfs for uploads, just jpg, jpeg, png, gif file types. If you have a way to convert them, that'd work, or perhaps post them at a third site, ( OWWM? ) and post a link here.

Need some dimensions.

What is the distance from the bottom of the flat to the split line?
Distance from center of V to outside/center of flat?

VetteracerX,
Here's a link to the steady I modded for my SM:

Buy Steady Centre Rest For Cx708 at Busy Bee Tools

It was pretty straightforward work, and all that's needed is a bridge plate for the top of the bed to pick up the new steady. You could probably do it in less time than you'll spend searching around for one.
... Gregg
Thank you for the link. I will check it out.

I looked for a steady rest for my 1120 for years. In the end I adapted one from a 10" Taiwanese lathe ... it was "simply" a matter of making a new saddle/bridge piece to adapt it to the SM vee bed.
.. Gregg

Did that onct with a length of White Oak stair tread, grooved. Not really even a matching Vee - just a slot cut with a common B&D woodchopper's router to catch a vee and prevent twist.

A steady is actually about as uncritical as lathe goodies ever get.

So long as firmly planted and lined-up with care, they tend to JFW, even if the fingers are not all at same extension.

You want a precisely-fitted, set-me-up fast one only if you use it OFTEN.
Few do.

A traveler one JF fabs for anything much less common than a SB.

10EE's have had four or five styles. At least "some" must have been bought-in third-party adaptations. The simplest of the lot fits, is all I have. Or need.

Neither type of rest is all that big of a deal, if you haveth not, IOW.

Nearly any man here can "find a way on the day" out of whatever we DO have to-hand.

Annnnd not surprising "the way" for a specific tasking might work BETTER than general-purpose goods.

Save yer money and DIY.

Or save yer money AND yer time ... and JF adapt one.

Back