What's new
What's new

WTB: Surface Plate, SF Bay Area

jwearing

Hot Rolled
Does anyone in the South Bay have a surface plate for sale? Around 24"x36", grade A or AA and in good condition. I'm only interested in USA made stones.

I am located in Milpitas.

Im in Gilroy. I know its not a stone, but I have a roughly 24"x24" steel plate that was advertised as a surface plate.

Steel or iron?

I'm not opposed to iron. However I really need a reference, not another scraping project, so I would want to see it spotted against a good surface plate before I buy.

Surface plates are weird to buy and sell. I own an 18x24" Starrett Crystal Pink plate in excellent condition. A few years ago I decided to sell it. I advertised it on CL for about a year. I started at $400 and ended at $80. Never a nibble. Then I took it to a meeting of my local metalworking club and tried all day to give it away. No takers. During that time I was regaled with stories of surface plates going bidless at auction.

Then along came Forrest Addy and Richard King. Suddenly surface plates are cool, and prices are astronomical.

Go figger.

And no, I am no longer looking to get rid of mine.

metalmagpie

I have a Rahn 24x36 with 4 ledges that I am trying to sell, but I am down in Riverside Ca. There may be someone coming up that way that can deliver it. In case you cant find something else something to keep in mind.

That’s about what I am looking for, but I don’t have travel plans in your direction. I’ll get back to you if I can line something up.

Back