What's new
What's new

WTB tapmatic or other auto tapper

M. Moore

Titanium
Looking for an auto reverse tapper.
I need to tap a lot of 1/4” blind holes and I want to do it on my milling machine.
I could set up on the drill press but the mill is a bit easier for this job.
40 taper would be great but a straight shank is fine too, then I could use it on my drill press.
What have you got?

What a coincidence.
I just happen to have a used and not perfect Tapmatic 30
The rubber collet has split. It is still in one piece.
Notice the use of pliers rather than the hard to find wrench... ( NOT ME)
And the handle extension has a small weld. Also not my doing...

I see you are in the great frozen north....
If you have a US address how about $100 shipped anywhere a flat rate box goes.

DSCN0027.jpgDSCN0028.jpg

A comment on Lazz statement about hard to find wrenches: The thin wrenches are what we old guys used to call tappet wrenches. A standard open end wrench can be ground or milled to make a thin wrench. I haven't seen a thin wrench in the stores but a quick Google search shows they are readily available, even from Walmart.

I would like to withdraw my offer to sell a tapamatic 30.

Yeah I tried it on a hunk of thin aluminum and it seemed to work just fine. So I offered it.
The last person to use it mentioned at lunch today he had trouble with it slipping in heaver material. I tried it this evening in 1/4" it does slip.

Sorry for wasting your time..

I have a tapmatic head on a 40 taper at the shop. IIRC it's a CAT 40, and has a nicely made stop arm. It came with a bed mill I bought many years ago that did not have rigid tapping. I've never used it, but seems to be in good shape. I'll check tomorrow and get the model, and more details.
I occasionally forget stuff due to lingering chemo brain, but will get back to you. Please let me know if you are interested.

I have a spd-5 with a cat 40 . If anything can do $150 shipped and send some extra rubber flex collets and a wrench . Let me know if the other deal falls off . Just PM me if anything

Back