What's new
What's new

WTB toolmakers microscope

millwrong

Aluminum
I'm getting to the point to which a microscope would be helpful, however I only want to dip my toe in the waters; this means that five figures is WELL above my budget. Anyone got a rusty, cracked lenses, no stages nightmare, and looking for a Canadian sucker??:D

I'm getting to the point to which a microscope would be helpful, however I only want to dip my toe in the waters; this means that five figures is WELL above my budget. Anyone got a rusty, cracked lenses, no stages nightmare, and looking for a Canadian sucker??:D

look on Amazon for digital microscope. some connect to smart phone or tablet or laptop. many are not that expensive and you can save the image

look on Amazon for digital microscope. some connect to smart phone or tablet or laptop. many are not that expensive and you can save the image

Just don't purchase a cheap one. Image quality will be so poor that the magnification will be lost to the poor resolution.

Shades of grey are poor transitions between object and back ground.

So what you want is a $35 school microscope. The lenses and the stage are what makes a toolmaker's microscope. The rest is just to hold these two items.

Tom

Probably a good way to go. I sold my Mitutoyo scope recently for $750. I think if I needed another I would buy a quality binocular scope for ~$200 and adapt a good x-y stage to that

I was pretty shocked that even ratty looking ones on E-bay all had asking prices over $500. I have one that I am not interested in selling, that thing is heavy. I actually had a guy give me it when he closed his shop. Mine is made by Gaertner Scientific, looks like they don't make models with micrometer heads on them anymore. I got sticker shock looking at their website. Like the OP said 5 figures. The 4" x 6" model is $19k.

Not sure what you need it for and your space limitations but I have seen those free standing old optical comparators go cheap every once in a while. The guy tried to give me his also but I didn't want to wrestle with it. It was way too heavy for moving with a heavy duty hand truck.

I picked up a really nice, to me, american optical binocular boom microscope. Pretty cheap on craigslist. Can't remember how much.

I also picked up an old Scherr-Tumico floor standing optical comparator ($60). These are super handy and generally not worth much.

Then picked up another S-T comparator at HGR for $150.

I combined to two comparators to get some upgrades, an extra lens, angle measurement, etc. And I took the x-y stage off one of them for my microscope. The resulting two instruments are very handy and I have very little in them. I also had the idea to add a digital microscope to the optical comparator. I have not done this yet.

I have a basic tool maker's microscope that I've been meaning to sell for a while now. It's an older Titan with X-Y stage, no light source, with circular reticle and 30x overall magnification. The X-Y stage seems to work pretty well but the scope itself is a bit grungy looking. If that's something you'd be interested in, reply here or PM me and I'll get some pictures taken..

I have a basic tool maker's microscope that I've been meaning to sell for a while now. It's an older Titan with X-Y stage, no light source, with circular reticle and 30x overall magnification. The X-Y stage seems to work pretty well but the scope itself is a bit grungy looking. If that's something you'd be interested in, reply here or PM me and I'll get some pictures taken..

How heavy is it? The one I got has a 1991 calibration sticker on it and is probably way older than that, sucker probably weighs 70 pounds.

I have a Gaertner Scientific measuring scope Model #1323P that is in very good condition. Not sure of the power of magnification. The head has a 1 inch travel with a .0005 divisions. The head is also adjustable up/down & in/out and can be rotated. There is a fine adjustment to focus the lens. Single lens as shown may be adaptable to a camera or different XX lenses. The cast base measures 8"x7" and the post is 12". If this is of interest to you I'll take 100.00+ shipping.
spaeth

Attachments

• DSCN2582.jpg
    DSCN2582.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 169
  • DSCN2583.jpg
    DSCN2583.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 137
  • DSCN2584.jpg
    DSCN2584.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 128
  • DSCN2585.jpg
    DSCN2585.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

Mike,

Let me know the details if millwrong passes, please.

Thanks.

I have 2 (American Optical?) binocular scope heads for use with boom mount. If interested send me a PM

Back