What's new
What's new

WTB Transformer

jmcghee

Plastic
I’m in need of a transformer to power a new to me HLV-H (440v) from an RPC. 3kva or higher should do it. I’ve had a surprisingly hard time finding one even semi locally (central Illinois). Anybody have one they’d part with?

I’m in need of a transformer to power a new to me HLV-H (440v) from an RPC. 3kva or higher should do it. I’ve had a surprisingly hard time finding one even semi locally (central Illinois). Anybody have one they’d part with?

Okay, so that's a fairly minimal question...
Since you want to power it from an RPC, that suggests that you want a three-phase 3kva or higher, which frankly... isn't all that common.

That being said, you could get three 1kva dry transformers, tie them together, and call it a 3kva 3-phase.

OR... you could nix the RPC, find a 3kva dry transformer 480:240, wire it backwards (240v secondary to a 240 breaker) and feed 480 (from the primary) into two of the three terminals of a VFD (as long as it would accept 480 single phase) and run your HLV-H from the VFD.

That's what I did with my 10EE... my Whiteman 48" power trowel, one of my pedestal grinders...

WTB 3 Phase Trsndformer

I was just in a similar situation, I found quite a few choices on Ebay. I ended up making a an offer on one for 200,00 and the seller accepted. It was a 3 KVA Hevi-Duty with multiple taps to match the 460 volt Hardinge input. I ended up mounting on the tail stock end of the cabinet. Worked out fine.

Paul

The next standard ones up would be 6 and 9 kva I believe. Try checking for those sizes when looking.

I was just in a similar situation, I found quite a few choices on Ebay. I ended up making a an offer on one for 200,00 and the seller accepted. It was a 3 KVA Hevi-Duty with multiple taps to match the 460 volt Hardinge input. I ended up mounting on the tail stock end of the cabinet. Worked out fine.

Paul

+1 That's about as good a fit as can be had, "stock".

Problem with ebay is really, really USELESS searching tools W/R transformers.

They ARE "out there", 3 KVA to a practical max of 7.5 KVA. One has to basically do an all-inclusive search, then rank from lowest cost to highest, then do a short TON of page down and Mark One Human Eyeball "tagging" to a "watch list" or bespoke list at a high speed.

THEN go back thru that list and find something that's a decent match and affordable shipping cost.

I tend to use the BIN ones and ignore "auctions". More likely to find a proper industrial electrical goods recycler who can SHIP the bugger with no hassle than a scavenger/hobbyist.

OR.. one can ID several of those recyclers, email and ask. I've been told by several of them that only ten percent of the goods they have are ever listed on eBay.

Most goods move by phone call or email to repeat customers or word-of-mouth referrals, prior customer to someone THEY know - the few ebay listings mostly to insure they are not forgotten as a source.

2CW

Thanks for the replies guys! I've found several that will work on ebay, Clist, etc... the problem(s) I'm having is everything I've found is either enormous (350lb 45kva etc) or far away/cost prohibitive to ship. I've found a few in Chicago which is 6ish hours round trip, maybe I'll just bite the bullet and go up there

Back