What's new
What's new

WTB: Van Norman "C" collets and tools.

Richard7789

Plastic
Hello,

I am new here and hopefully I'm not breaking any rules. I recently bought a Van Norman 1R-3 milling machine at auction, however it only came with a 1/2 collet. I am looking for any Van Norman "C" tooling or Harding 5V collets for sale. I am also in the market for the arbor support.

Thanks for your help,
Rich

Rich,

As far as I know, the 1R-3 series came only with NMTB 40 spindles (the 1RQ-3 spindle, which has to fit inside a quill, came with NMTB 30). I know you have mechanical aptitude as you had your table off (thanks for the pictures!) and I don't want to insult your intelligence - but you may have a 40-taper to VN-C adapter in the spindle. The only other alternative would be if VN ran some one-offs for customers who wanted VN-C, which is possible, but hopefully you have the NMTB spindle.

You will have to get lucky to find an arbor support. Many other machines also seem to be lacking them, and they don't seem to come up for sale. I have an A-style arbor support (with the small pilot), and I am happy to provide measurements or anything else that may assist in fabbing one.

Ben

Hello,

I am new here and hopefully I'm not breaking any rules. I recently bought a Van Norman 1R-3 milling machine at auction, however it only came with a 1/2 collet. I am looking for any Van Norman "C" tooling or Harding 5V collets for sale. I am also in the market for the arbor support.

Thanks for your help,
Rich

Back