What's new
What's new

WTB Vernier calipers

indychuck

Aluminum
I'm looking for a 50 grad vernier caliper OR the parallax free style, where both scales are on exactly the same plane.

6"

Don't have any for sale but I got all of mine thru Ebay over the years.

Forgot to mention the Brown and Sharpe 575. Similar to the Starrett 123 series, 50 Division and Parallax free. I have one pair in 14" and am looking for an 8" set but I don't know if they ever made one smaller that 14".

See: Cheap Large 24-36" Verniers

Scroll down to post #13 which has a photo of the 123 and 575 side by side.

Chuck
Burbank, CA

Don't have any for sale but I got all of mine thru Ebay over the years.

Forgot to mention the Brown and Sharpe 575. Similar to the Starrett 123 series, 50 Division and Parallax free. I have one pair in 14" and am looking for an 8" set but I don't know if they ever made one smaller that 14".

See: Cheap Large 24-36" Verniers

Scroll down to post #13 which has a photo of the 123 and 575 side by side.

Chuck
Burbank, CA

Either one of these would work just fine.

Due to measuring each piece of work, the 50 grad will be nice.

Thanks for the photo reference.

I love my Starrett 123's. I have them in 6 and 12.

I have a different brand in 24, but it is the 50 grad one like the 123.

Eyes are getting too old to read the 25 grad vernier. I can almost read these without my glasses, and I can read them almost as fast as a dial.

I was told that Long Island Indicator, in their shop, only use vernier calipers. They never go out of adjustment unless they are worn or broken.

I sent you a link with a lead on some. Check your email.

Steve

Starret list price for a 12 is 909.00

Sticker shock! I had no idea, why are name brand verniers so pricey? I have a set of 24" Starrets I might use once a year, 99.9% of the stuff I make is 4" or less. I bet used brand name verniers don't bring a lot with 24" Chinese junk going for $50.

Sticker shock! I had no idea, why are name brand verniers so pricey? I have a set of 24" Starrets I might use once a year, 99.9% of the stuff I make is 4" or less. I bet used brand name verniers don't bring a lot with 24" Chinese junk going for $50.

MSC prices (so cut by 1/3) -

"value collection" 12" dials - $125
Tesa Brown & Sharpe 12" dials -$170

Mits 12" verneier - $440
Starret 12" verniers - $1017

W T F?!? Why would I pay 3x the price for verneirs that are harder to read? Maybe becuase they generally don't break... I dunno, but at those prices I would just as soon replace the dials every 5-10 years if they broke.

I bought my china made 12" dials probably 20 years ago and they still work, although they did skip a tooth so zero is not a 12'oclock. Annoying but not worth replacing when I use them a couple times a year. Just checked them with a 4" gage block and they are right on the money. Even trying to squeeze them I can only get them to read 3.999. Good enough for me! :)

Back