Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Iowa
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Toms Wheels View Post
    I made two piece input shafts for both the Volstro and the RA Head.Not splined, just a notch in a collet for drive. The input shaft needs to be a slip fit into the collet, as the gears create a side loading on the input shaft.

Attachment 316503Attachment 316504Attachment 316505
    Thanks Tom.
    Is the slot cut in the collet needed? My understanding these heads are for smaller end mills and light cuts.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Iowa
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lightningtools View Post
    Hi I actually have a brand new one never used it but I could sell it. I'm not sure how to upload pictures but if you have an email I'd be happy to send pictures over.
    Here is my email remove the Xx when emailing.

[email protected]
    Thanks
    Jeff

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mine uses a collet that's close to a ER25 but it's not. The collet is 35.35mm (1.380") tall and 25mm (.980") in diameter. Here is a pix of the collet. Does that logo mean Schaublin? If anyone can tell me what it is I would appreciate it. Thanks. volstrocollet.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The driving collet is not an actual collet, it is the top portion of an extended end mill holder. Cut off the bottom portion that would hold the EM, and bore the top piece to fit the stub on the input shaft.

You insert the driving collet imto the spindle, run it tight, then extend the quill down and attach the Volstro or RA Head.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rick, My collets have the exact same logo stamped into them as yours does. I don't know enough about what Schaublin produced to say that's there logo or not. I did find a few old posts mentioning they were pretty sure these Volstro heads were using collets produced by Shaublin. Fwiw and so far unconfirmed information, Rego-Fix apparently took the basic Schaublin collet design and it's taper angle, added more slots for a larger closing range, the extraction grove and the now standard eccentric closing nut and were then credited with inventing the ER collet design. But those ER-25's still won't work in your or my head. There's some minor dimension changes on the collets upper taper,(it's a bit shorter) so the stock Volstro nut won't close them, and the spindle threads are not even close in diameter or pitch to use an ER nut. At some point Volstro did start using the ER collets in there later produced heads, but I've never found a date mentioned for when that happened.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Iowa
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Toms Wheels View Post
    The driving collet is not an actual collet, it is the top portion of an extended end mill holder. Cut off the bottom portion that would hold the EM, and bore the top piece to fit the stub on the input shaft.

You insert the driving collet imto the spindle, run it tight, then extend the quill down and attach the Volstro or RA Head.
    Thanks Tom,
    That makes sense; at first thought was thinking you had a stub shaft that tightened in a collet. Didnt see it was a solid holder.