What's new
What's new

WTB wells index 40h parts

Richard Murray

Plastic
Hi guys I'm new at this and just purchased a index 40h mill. It runs and is in pretty good shape. But I'm missing a few things.motor bracket,I have the adjustment lever assy,I'm missing the L shape mount. I missing the power feed,the cover for the knee screw. The knee lock knob and various small parts.
If anyone has one they are parting out please let me know. It no longer has the bs#9 but has a hardinge #10 quick collet. I would love to know how to remove it lol. Removed draw bar and won't budge. Thanks in advance.

Contact Well-Index, they may sell you the drawings if they still have them for this mill.

As for removing the collet adapter, good luck. I'm sure the No. 9 B & S taper spindle is still there. People have the tendency to tighten these like they do a R-8 taper, that's why you can't get it loosen. All I can tell you is to tear down the spindle quill, remove the spindle. Apply heat, not with a rose bud, but with something like a MAP torch, with the draw bar attached but loose, beat the heck out of the end of the draw bar and maybe by luck it will break loose. Plan B would be to bore out the adapter and send to Wells Index and have them to grind a R-8 taper in place of the B & S taper. Ken

Sorry so late to reply back. Yeah it's definitely stuck pretty bad. I'm trying to figure out how to post pictures of it. On the Collets I found a hardinge#10 stamp on it. But I only have a few sizes that came with it. So I think I'm going to contact hardinge and see if the have complete sets. But so far everything is really tight, tolerance wise. Just trammed the head and was shocked to see how square everything is. I also want to figure out how to make a modern style power feed to all the axis and a dro.

Unless you own stock in Fort Knox forget Hardinge. If they had them to offer, about $225 apiece, maybe more. Doubt they stock anything beyond 5c or R-8 collets. Ken

Yeah I noticed everything they sell is pretty expensive. It's just a odd set up compaired to every other index 40 I've seen. I still need to figure out how to post pictures on here. Not the most easy forum for sure lol.

Yeah, their method of posting pictures is screwy for sure. To me best if done on a PC and not your phone. You have to select the picture from your PC, then upload. Once uploaded, put a check mark in the little square to select the hit add. Like I said, it is screwy. Just play with it until you get it to work.

At the top of this forum is a thread on posting pictures. May help or may not.

Have fun.

Back