Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Louisiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default WTB: Wells Index 747 Drawbar

I recently bought an Index 747 for my home shop. I need a replacement drawbar, as the previous owner was using a piece of galvanized all thread with two nuts 7Ē down. Lol! Iíll probably need a few more things as I finish going through this mill, but it does seem to be in very nice condition. Iíll post up a picture. Iím not sure what year it was made.

a81f194e-bdf0-424c-a3fc-b733b2bd1ad6.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can't make out if that's a variable speed head or not (old eyes). Would this work for you...?

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/...544+4288144102

Hope that helps,

-Ron

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Louisiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MetalCarnage View Post
    I can't make out if that's a variable speed head or not (old eyes). Would this work for you...?

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/...544+4288144102

Hope that helps,

-Ron
    It does not have the handle on the top of the head like yours in your profile picture has. Yours is variable speed I believe. Mine is not like that. To change the speed then I have to manually move the belts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Okay then.

If you have a lathe you can get a "kit" to make a draw bar. Basically all you have to do is to cut the bar to length and insert it into the drive head(?) and pin it, done! I just finished making one for my 860 using a kit from Kurt Workholding (the kit was for use with a power draw bar though).

I see that there are a couple of options on McMaster-Carr where they have one listed for "Lagun, Wells Index" - McMaster-Carr I assume this one is for the fixed speed head as they also list other ones for the Lagun variable speed and WI variable speed. Then they have their "universal" kit - McMaster-Carr

Also, if you do some searching around you'll most likely find other options.

Best regards and Merry Christmas!

-Ron