What's new

WTB Wilton Vise

• Thread starter Guncraft
  • Start date
  • Replies 5
  • Views 925
G

Guncraft

Like everyone else on the planet, I am looking for a good Wilton vise. I would like a bullet-style vise, something like a 400S or 450S. Ebay is running amuck in Wilton vises, but the sellers all think they have found the one end-all Wilton vise and are asking too much money to the demise of their auction.

If you have such a vise for sale, please let know.

Thank you!

Andy

. . . the sellers all think they have found the one end-all Wilton vise and are asking too much money to the demise of their auction. . .

FWIW, about 500 Wilton vises have been sold on Ebay over the last month, a couple dozen of them the 400 or 450 you want. Looks like the going price for a used 400, with or without a swivel, is about $200 + shipping. These are nice vises, but the only semi-unique feature they have is a screw that's enclosed well enough to survive fitted to the bumper of a truck.

I've had five Wiltons (still have three), most used indoors, but the three best vises I've owned weren't Wilton. Could be there are many more local sales for quality vises not named Wilton (Stevens,Columbian,Starrett,Yost, Eclipse, etc.). These can all have high PSI material, heavy screws, precise closure, and sometimes nifty features like deeper throats, longer openings, quick-acting screws, special attachments, and more.

Some have sold, but I have been watching it for several weeks and sooo many of the vises are being relisted after no bids due to their prices. Some of the more reasonably priced ones are selling - I got out bid yesterday on one at literally the last second. I have emailed the sellers who have relisted and they are no willing to come off of their prices despite relisting...

Andy

Yep, there are folks who will spend a couple years of their life relisting an item, and paying fees, in the thought their item must be worth 90% of new list price. Best not to waste your time with them.

Don't know where in Indiana you live, but a good vise is heavy and $$$ to ship. Must be a hundred shops (moving, deceased, downsizing, getting older over the next couple months) near you with a good vise or two that someone will be buying. I've found my best vises looking for something else.

found all my wiltons on CL with patience. the shipping cost will ruin most good deals you find on ebay short of new old stock for $200.

I have checked with the Craigslist and the local shops in town - this are is void of any kind of decent used/vintage tools. The problem I have is time is money and I do not have the time to go shop to shop or even wait too long on Craigslist to find something. So far in the last couple of months there has not been a single decent vise in our area on CL. I did find a vise in an antique store the other day, but it was a total piece of junk - more of decoration than a usable tool.

Andy

Back