What's new
What's new

Need Help! Toyoda FA450

wmpy

Hot Rolled
Anyone that may be able to help, We purchased a 1995 FA450 in August that had been sitting, disconnected from power for a long period of time and lost all memory and parameters. We removed all the covers from the machine when it arrived with the intention of a good cleaning and review of all functions before replacing covers to make any repairs easier. The machine appears to be in above average condition but we have not been able to get the machine fully functional. In September we had a Fanuc technician come out, he was able to reload 15m control parameters and make it possible to jog all axes of the machine. The Spindle, pallet change, pallet index, tool change, tool magazine are still not functioning. We were told by an independent technician that we need the Toyoda software. We contacted Toyoda USA in Arlington Heights, IL about obtaining the software but after numerous calls and emails over a one month period they were unable to help. We decided that having a Toyoda technician would be the next step. Our service request was sent about a month ago, they have not come out, told us when they can come out and are not responding to emails.
Were looking for independant service, or anyone with a similar FA450, or any info or knowledge that will point us in the right direction, because we are stuck.

Thanks, West Machine Products

Thanks sagespecialized, you have been a big help. I feel like were starting to make some progress.

Here is a pic of the machine as it sits now, all cleaned up. It's been in the middle of the shop floor for a while now. We're waiting until the Toyoda is running to replace our Mazak.

IMG_0376.jpg

A few more pictures

The day it came.
IMG_0254.jpg

The machine ran a lot of cast iron.
IMG_0272.jpg

Fresh painted covers waiting for reassembly.
IMG_0375.jpg

Rusted, locked up from sitting, z-axis ballscrew that has since been repaired and reinstalled.
IMG_0293.jpg

Hope to have some re-assembled pics soon

Wow she's bare Naked! I like it!

Gotta love cast Iron, it's so nice to our machine tools. :bawling:

So I see you had to repair the Z ballscrew, for obvious reasons, be sure to change out the X axis thrust bearings since you can get to them. I was pushing 650 hours a month on mine and after 4 years we had to change them out to keep our tolerances in line. My machine cut strictly 6061-t6.

A couple PM items.

Way lube lines, flush the system.

Spindle air filter. On the newer machines it's a big blue filter next to the solenoid switch panel. I think on these it was down by the spindle chiller?????
Swap it out. Your spindle will thank you and it will save you an early trip to Mr. Bill Gibblers spindle Dept.

Dueblin coupler, swap it. the coolant( when using thru spindle coolant) is used for lubricating the bearings in the coupler. cast iron fines and bearings don't mix. A seized coupler will reak havoc on the end of the drawbar, vibration= out of balance and when the whole thing comes apart it's ugly and expensive. Don't ask me how I know. :)

The switches on the outside load station. Build covers over the top to protect them from chips. It will drive your operators crazy when it won't pallet in and come to find out there's a chip on the switch. Also regularly clean the switches in side the tool changer door. Chips will interrupt the tool changer/ magazine cycle and give you headaches as well.

I had the chip augers wired into the power "ON" loop to keep everything moving. They will swallow a big gulp but on an overnight run if an operator forgets...

Funny story, but not, 450 III's don't have the center sheetmetal over Z axis. It's a straight drop to the coolant tank. Multiple pallets (12 hr cycle of 4 pallets) of the same part which filled a 5'x5'x5' chip bin every 3 hours. Before he went home on Friday he turned the conveyor switch off to swap bins. Forgot to turn it back on....

I get a call the next morning. " uhm...I need you to come own here"

You guys ever seen a picture of how many people can fit in a phone booth?
This was how many bins of chips could we fit in a Toyoda. LOL

I couldn't even open the operator door it was packed so tight. I literally had to pop the hatch in the roof and shovel them out the top to clear the door, and when I got it open I couldn't see tombstone or spindle.

Oh' I wass Pissed!!

That one is at the top of my list for operator boner moves.

Let me know if you need anything, I'm happy to help. :cheers:

It pains me to see such a nice machine so terribly mistreated. Glad to see she's found a good home and is currently going through a hearty rehab program. Be sure to post pictures when she's all tuned up.:cheers:

Thanks for the tips Justin, I'll be sure to check all of that.

Joe- The machine isn't as bad as it looks,mostly just dirty. I've seen machines this age in much worse condition. Surprisingly the way covers are in pretty good condition. I'm a little concerned about the plastic tool pods in the tool chain. Some look pretty worn and the plastic seems to be deteriorating... One problem at a time. Right now we're stalled on trying to load a ladder into the control, can't seem to get it to load. We're waiting to hear back from Toyoda.

I'll keep you posted on the progress as well as pictures when I have something worth showing.

Good News!

Krist came out and was able to load everything that was missing. He is very knowledgeable and helpful. The machine is functional for the most part. The axes are referenced and are able to zero return. We are working on getting the tool changer and pallet changer functional now. One of the mg-u batteries went dead.

Glad to hear, you do have the master working on it.

Post some pics of the progress as you guys get this girl back on line.

Are you guys planning for another machine or rail system anytime soon? If so give me a shout, I have a few tricks up my sleeve to save you some headaches if that happens down the road.

It's about starting out on the right foot so the rest falls inline.

Tell Krist I said hello.

Let me know If I can be of further help, Good luck.

I can relate to Toyoda's poor service and response, it seems they have 2 awesome Techs and your lucky to get either of them on the phone even though you pay the same $130 an hour for phone service wheter its any benifit to you or not... Although we may be getting rid of our FA63 soon I'm in Racine, WI and have been looking for a tech from time to time familiar with these vintage Toyoda's and havent had any luck. When ever a contractor comes in we are usully relying on the phone support at Toyoda anyway. Can you advise on a good repair guy as I'm just north of the border?..
Thanks
Jeff

Removing locked up Z axis Ballscrew

I am trying to remove a locked up z axis ball screw and can't seem to figure out how deep I need to go. I have motor unbolted but can't gain access to the coupling. The front way cover is still in machine because the machine has pallet in it. I was wondering if I remove the 3 bolts that hold mounting bracket on for valves and if i can gain access to ball nut, then I can possibly pull motor, coupling housing, and ball screw all at 1 time and then worry about disassembly on bench. If not, then do I need to remove the front covers of the machine to do this? Any ideas would be great!

Update

I am trying to remove a locked up z axis ball screw and can't seem to figure out how deep I need to go. I have motor unbolted but can't gain access to the coupling. The front way cover is still in machine because the machine has pallet in it. I was wondering if I remove the 3 bolts that hold mounting bracket on for valves and if i can gain access to ball nut, then I can possibly pull motor, coupling housing, and ball screw all at 1 time and then worry about disassembly on bench. If not, then do I need to remove the front covers of the machine to do this? Any ideas would be great!

For those of you that might have this issue in the future, I literally had to tear half the machine apart and use a 3 ft pipe wrench to turn the screw so I could uncouple the motor. Then I had to use the pipe wrench to force the fafnir nut off. Found out the oil/air mixing valve to the ball nut was toast. Replaced everything about 2 months ago and still running like a champ! Funny story, Boss comes over when I was trying to figure out how to get screw out and says to me, " Why don't you just get a saw and cut it out." I just smiled and went back to work.

Can anybody help me with Ladder and electrical diagram for Toyoda FA450 III with Fanuc 16i control.
Will be of great help as I need to interface a new chip conveyor and coolant system.

Back