What's new
What's new

110V 1PH Input to 220V 3PH Output for 3HP Motor - Is there such a thing

Shootr

Plastic
Hello all,

I have a couple Nord 220V 3PH 3HP motors from surplus. I don't have access to 220/240V 3PH at my house, but if it's possible to run them somehow off a 110V 1PH 30A circuit I could use one for a belt grinder I want to build.

The circuit was for an RV hookup - I use it for my welder now.

All my googling seems to indicate I can't get there from here. I figured I would check in with you folks and see if there is a way to do it.

I appreciate you letting me come in and ask my silly question.

Hello all,

I have a couple Nord 220V 3PH 3HP motors from surplus. I don't have access to 220/240V 3PH at my house, but if it's possible to run them somehow off a 110V 1PH 30A circuit I could use one for a belt grinder I want to build.

All my googling seems to indicate I can't get there from here. I figured I would check in with you folks and see if there is a way to do it.

USE an 120V r1ph input VFD

OR: use an 120V to 240V transformer of sufficient KVA rating and run a RPC

A 3 HP motor at 115V 1 ph would draw 34A. You have 30.

Conversion to 3 phase will have some losses, and also some extra current. You cannot supply it via that 30A circuit.

Hello all,

First, upgrade the branch circuit from 120-only to 120/240. There are no good reasons to NOT do. Avoiding that simplcity just wastes more money than "JFDI"..

Second, either build or acquire an RPC. For all your combined 3-P loads. No modification to the loads ordinarily required.

ELSE BUY a VFD. For each 3-Phase motor. Modification to load-side switching and protective device arrangements will USUALLY be required.

Hello all,

not cheaply, sell current motors and buy a 240V single phase 3HP. as that large on 110V will be expensive!

Back