Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 12v transmitter receiver relay basics SRD-12VDC-SL-C

I purchased the photographed for three dollars hoping that it would work as an additional remote for my garage door opener.

It is rated at 12VDC, but the two ports on the back of my garage door are 4.75 volts. These are the two ports that one would use to hook up a door bell or wall opener to open and close the door without a remote. In other words, when the two terminals are connected the garage door opener is triggered.

It looks like I can purchase a 5VDC configuration similar to the one photographed. Before I purchase it I have some questions:

Will this work on a garage door opener that puts out 4.75 VDC from two terminals?

If so,

Do I hook up the two voltage input terminals to the two input terminals on my garage door opener ( the two garage door terminals that when connected together open or close the opener.

Or, do I have to use the other three terminals on the receiver in some combination?

The labels for the other three are: NC COM NO.

I will post some photographs, could not figure how to do so from my phone

img_3338.jpgimg_3339.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_3340.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You are asking a bunch of gear-head machinists about a radio..You might not the right answer...Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Are you trying to use the purchased item as a wireless remote transmitter? If so, what you have won't work. It appears to be just a switch, no radio control functions.

Tom

Country
    NEW ZEALAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You need a separate 12VDC supply from a plugpack; you probably cannot power this off the garage door opener unless it has a separate power output for sensors etc. The 4.75V you're measuring is just it checking if a contact is open or closed, and cannot supply significant current.

Connect the C & NO terminals across where you would connect a pushbutton.

Should work fine as long as it can be configured to be momentary (one push on the remote closes then opens the contacts).

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Based on the comments, this unit will not work off the 4.75 volts the opener provides to the two terminals to determine if a contact was supplied.

Thank you for the details

Country
    NEW ZEALAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yup.

Your operator might have extra terminals to power e.g. a light beam that you could piggy back off, though.