What's new
What's new

15hp 208/416 motor on 240v RPC?

Rob F.

Diamond
I have searched archives and the best I was able to come up with is "it depends"... I am looking at a mechanical press rake with a 15hp 208/416 motor. I have 240 3 phase frome my RPC, actual voltage is usually closer to 246. Question is will my higher voltage work on this motor? Some more modern motors are rated for both 208 and 240 but not this one. Machine is from 40's, not sure if this is original motor, my guess is not.
Obviously I would like to not change the motor but if it needs to be done I just need to add in the cost to swap it.
Thank you in advance :)
Here is a pic of the motor tag:
P1080127.jpg

I think it will work well with an rpc run from 240vac but no run capacitors. The rpc will output voltage on the order of 240/216/210 volts.

Get 1 buck boost 12/24x 120/240v transformer and use it to buck the single phase voltage (taking 12 volts off both sides) but dont touch the third leg of the rpc, feed it right into the 208 motor.

The problem isnt just your motor will overheat but the saturation of the core will suck your third leg from the rpc way down and both starting and running torque will drop because the rpc cant supply the amps.

Simple, remove the motor and take it to a motor shop and have it re-hooked to delta, ( the shop will have to bring all 12 leads out, you have 9 now) by going to high voltage delta your motor will be 240 volt 3 phase then use a standard rpc ( math 416/1.73=240)...Phil

Last edited:

Back