What's new
What's new

200 volt motor on newly aquired Logan Powermatic 14" Lathe

Dmorgan855

Plastic
I recently purchased a Logan Powermatic Lathe 1980's vintage. I am in the process of cleaning and preparing it for service in my shop. The motor is a Baldor with the following information on the data plate
Spec SEA06-1867
Frame 182T 623M
H.P. 3
Volts 200
Amps 10
RPM 1725
Cycle 60 PH 3 Class B
SER. F. 1.0 DES B DODE H
RATING 40degress C AMB F
CAT NO. 6471915 SER 975
My question is this. I have a single phase input into my shop 118-120 volts per leg. Can I run this with just a phase converter or do I need to Buck down the voltage in order to not damage the motor? Also, given that the motor is at least 35 years old should I just purchase a new motor and move on. The machine was purchased from a school and has been sitting for 15 years. I am new to this and would appreciate all responses. Thanks

What do you have to loose, run the motor on 240 and see if it heats, in not run it, if it does run it until the smoke comes out and replace it...Phil

You can run a 200 volt motor just fine on 240 volt. It is better to run a motor on a higher than its listed voltage than running it on a lower than listed voltage.
Do however check the coil voltage on the magnetic motor starter if it has one? 200 volt starter coils will overheat and fail if used at 240 volts.
Ron

3 phase is referenced as 208 for some configurations.

In earlier days when line was 100 or 115 instead of 120 that 200 may be same.

Use a vfd or a static with 240 input and you should be good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

3P 208V is 120V line to neutral, 208V line to line. This is substantially different that the 240V line to line that you get from a rotary converter fed with 240V single phase.

If you throw a VFD on it you can easily configure it for 200V full voltage.

Check the manufacturer's datasheet online. A lot of times 240V motors are identified for use on 208V ("200V") systems. Not sure that the reverse is true but it's worth checking out. Otherwise you could look into a VFD with voltage adjustments. Some drives allow you to program a reduced full speed voltage. Worst case you can drop 240V to 208 using a buck transformer. Or just slap a new motor in there... people practically throw old motors away on Craigslist, FB marketplace, etc. $50 for a 3 horse is not unheard of.

Last edited:
Pretty much all VFDs with a menu system will let you set the motor voltage. It's only the ones set by potentiometer that you might have an issue with.

Back