What's new
What's new

220v european plug to US conversion

Plug is for 230v 50Hz, you have 220v 60Hz. Should be ok but induction motors will run 20% faster so watch out for overheating and bearing problems. What does it connect to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a friend of mines Nitto needle scaler. He isn't on the internet so I'm helping him out.
The tag says 230v 50/60 hertz. 300w 30 min.
The cord only has two wires and US 230v has three.
Can he wire in an L14-30 plug into the two wires in the cord?

It's a friend of mines Nitto needle scaler. He isn't on the internet so I'm helping him out.
The tag says 230v 50/60 hertz. 300w 30 min.

Then it's fine to replace the plug with one that connects to US 220v single phase.

The cord only has two wires and US 230v has three. Can he wire in an L14-30 plug into the two wires in the cord?

Yes. Use the two "live" wires from the US 220v single-phase. The third (ground) wire is not connected to this device, which presumably is double-insulated internally.

Is it safe to assume that the tool is double insulated? How do you determine if it is? Jim

Equipment with euro-plug like that SHOULD be double insulated unless some f-wit has replaced the cord.

"Technically" it works by connecting it to US 220v plug, dunno what the US safety standards say about it.

Can he wire in an L14-30 plug into the two wires in the cord?

"Can" but L14-30 outlet can be fused with 30A fuses, equipment with "europlug" is designed with 16A fuses in mind so you have less than original fire/shock protection.
Previously mentioned NEMA 2-15 would be better match.

Then it's fine to replace the plug with one that connects to US 220v single phase.

Yes. Use the two "live" wires from the US 220v single-phase. The third (ground) wire is not connected to this device, which presumably is double-insulated internally.

I would not use a 3 wire plug.... it implies grounding that is not present.

And, if the thing is old, it may NOT be double-insulated, it might just be 2 wire, like a lot of older stuff. Yu can check it for leakage if you have a meter and a few electronic components

No issue using a 3-pin plug on double-insulated tools. All UK plugs are 3-pin since the earth pin is required to release the power socket interlocks whether it's connected to the appliance or not.

That's not a UK plug but if it was a UK tool then it would either have to be double-insulated OR earthed. It would have to be far older than that plug to be otherwise.

Back