What's new
What's new

230/240V to 200V for auto oiler.

rbmgf7

Aluminum
I picked up an auto oiler for my CNC retrofit for free.99, however, it's rated for 200V (came off a Robodrill). Are there any step-down transformers for such a thing? Only draws 55W so it's not like I need a lot of VA.

I did plug it into 240V for a minute just to make sure it worked (it does) but I get the feeling if I try to use it, it won't work for much longer, lol.

I guess it's designed to be a continuous run style oiler. What if I hook it up to a timer so it only runs for a minute for every 10 or so minutes?

I picked up an auto oiler for my CNC retrofit for free.99, however, it's rated for 200V (came off a Robodrill). Are there any step-down transformers for such a thing? Only draws 55W so it's not like I need a lot of VA.

I did plug it into 240V for a minute just to make sure it worked (it does) but I get the feeling if I try to use it, it won't work for much longer, lol.

I guess it's designed to be a continuous run style oiler. What if I hook it up to a timer so it only runs for a minute for every 10 or so minutes?

You can probably find a step down transformer, and as you point out, it's low power so it shouldn't cost too much. Cheaper still (if you are actually going to buy a new transformer) is a buck boost (https://download.schneider-electric...File_Name=7414CT0201.pdf&p_Doc_Ref=7414CT0201). It acts sorta like a resistive divider, but with transformer windings instead of resistors, and the load current only goes through the "adjustment" portion of the transformer. So if, for example, your load was 1A at 200V, a step down transformer would have to be rated at 1A*200V = 200W minimum, whereas a buck boost would be rated at 1A*(240V-200V) = 40W minimum. The cheapest source I found is Jefferson electric. I think I bought the last one I used from Zoro.

You're looking for a buck transformer. They are a type of autotransfomer. You might be able to find a small one on E-Bay for reasonably cheap.

1200px-Tapped_autotransformer.svg.png

only 55W ?

Just use a 5W resistor of some sort, a short strand of resistor wire in an enclosure or a standard resistor or 5 1W resistors in parallel. 5W will build up a little heat if it's not allowed to dissipate.

Then check with your voltmeter that it's right.

Back