What's new
What's new

240v RPC using 460V motor

wetoddid

Aluminum
This has probably be discussed ad nausium, but I was unable to find any information on it. I have 4 spare motors that are single voltage, 6 wire, 2 speed 460v, from 10hp to 50hp. I was wanting to create a RPC from one of the motors, but they can't be rewired to 240. Will any of these motors work on 240 single phase, and if so, what's the de-rating?

If you can rewire them for 277 delta that would be better than 480 y.

As far as derating, a 480v motor run on 240 will develope 25% of the torque at the shaft. However the motor will be more efficient at such a load than a motor of 1/4th the size run at nameplate volts and full load.

So its use as an rpc you run into the same fundamental limit: voltage drop under load. And heat in the coils. Dont exceed nameplate amps through any single coil unless the other coils offset the extra heat

If you can rewire them for 277 delta that would be better than 480 y.

I assume you mean to rewire the motors in the machines I intend on running? Not sure how I can rewire these single voltage motors to 277 Delta....not even sure how to wire any motor to 277 delta. I figured 277 was a product of the wye configuration.

Is my ignorance showing yet?

My thought process was to brute force a 10hp 240 RPC with a 50hp 460V motor, since I bought it unused for $30. Feel free to tell me I'm pursuing this the most impractical way possible:)

A motor rated 489V and set up as "wye", will have a coil rating of 277VAC.

With the wye coils reconnected for delta, it will be set up to run from 277VAC 3 phase..... Of course that does not exist,, but it is much closer to 240VAC than 480VAC is. So the motor should work reasonably well at 240VAC as an RPC idler,

Over-sizing it considerably vs the load is a good plan when the motor is really for a higher voltage than what you have, as in the case of a 277VAC motor run at 240VAC.

Last edited:
I assume you mean to rewire the motors in the machines I intend on running? Not sure how I can rewire these single voltage motors to 277 Delta....not even sure how to wire any motor to 277 delta. I figured 277 was a product of the wye configuration.

Is my ignorance showing yet?

My thought process was to brute force a 10hp 240 RPC with a 50hp 460V motor, since I bought it unused for $30. Feel free to tell me I'm pursuing this the most impractical way possible:)

a 40 hp 480v RPC run as a 240v system is electrically similar to a 10hp 240v RPC.

The deeper I dig, the more confused I'm getting here.
I'm interested in the wye configuration, but can't figure out how to do that with a 6 wire motor. Data plate is wholly lacking information and there is no wiring schematic on the motor or inside the junction box.
I assumed that 3 of the wires were for low speed and 3 were for high speed. Anybody have a clue as to how to wire it up for wye?

Data plate is wholly lacking information

Post it, so we can be the judge of it. May have more clues than you realize, more than one if you have them.

SAF Ω

Looks like a Brook Crompton Parkinson Motor, a special at that. Two separate windings in one shell.

D200L - IEC metric frame size, about the size of a 50HP standard motor.

B449274 - Part number,not a current model, it's a special.

7.5/7.5 - HP rating of each winding.

1760/870 - RPM of each winding, synchronous speed 1800/900, 4pole/8pole.

460 - single voltage, both windings.

13/16 - Full load amperage of each winding.

60/3 - 60Hz, 3Φ

MCR - ?

B - Design B

Summary, 7.5HP metric motor, 2 Spd, designed to US NEMA specifications, about the size of a 50HP.

You would be better of to cash it in at the scrap yard, for a more suitable RPC idler.

SAF Ω

Dodged a bullet with that one. I saw the 7.5/7.5 on the name plate and would never have thought it meant a 7.5hp motor...in a 50hp case. 13/16 amps should have tipped me off, but I'm hard headed.

To the scrap man. Thanks guys.

Back