What's new
What's new

3-ph, 12-lead motor... Request for help.

Swarf Dwarf

Plastic
Hello,

I've been lurking in the shadows here for a long time but this will be my first post.

I'm waking up an old Martin lathe that's been in storage by a previous owner. I am about to connect its twelve-lead, three-phase motor to a 240V, three-phase mains supply. I have a basic knowledge of electricity but before trying what I suspect is correct and flipping the switch, I'd like to ask those having more experience to consider my assumptions. The motor has a data plate indicating that it is compatible with either 220 or 440V three-phase; there is however no diagram or schematic anywhere explaining connection of the motor for different mains voltages.

I've contacted the motor manufacturer (Schorch of Germany) but they were "not able to find documentation on this motor because it is at least 40 years old". They also stated that "this is a 3-phase motor with only “one winding” (4 poles/one speed) but in a special design for 2 different voltages, double delta and delta".... One winding??? Closing comment: "Please check the windings by an ohm meter and put the right ones together."

The previous user had the twelve leads coming from the motor's winding(s) separated into three groups, each group consisting of four leads; I don't know for certain if it was last run on 220 or 440V. I can use an ohm meter to verify that the leads in each group go to a common winding; I have not yet done this. I can then refer to shematics from other manufacturers of 12-lead motors wired for 220V (see last image; to be clear, the diagram is from another motor manufacturer). From this, I can deduce that the wiring of my motor is most likely already correctly configured for 220V three-phase.

The leads are individually labeled and and all markings are clearly legible. The junction terminals have little stamped brass identification tags. Three of these tags are attached to the three terminals being used; the rest were laying loose in the junction box.

Here are some images:

P1000406blight.jpg

Motor01b.jpg

Motordataplate03.jpg

Motorleadsaspreviouslyconnected01c.jpg

Motorleadsaspreviouslyconnected02b.jpg

Loosetagsandstraps01b.jpg

Wiringschemeexample02.jpg

I'd be grateful for any comments or advice.

SD.

Last edited:
It looks to me that you are connected for 220 V with windings for each phase connected in parallel. While it is a bit more complex, this winding configuration is more flexible than the common 9 wire one. I have seen it on larger motors to allow connecting the windings in Y for a soft start, then switching to delta for running.

You might wait for a second opinion before putting the juice to it in case someone sees something I am missing, but I think you are ready to go.

Bill

Such a 12-wire motor, while intended for parelleling the windings and connecting these as a delta, for 220 volts, also allows for seriesing the windings and connecting these as a delta, for 440 volts.

Additionally, if paralleling the windings and connecting these as a wye, for 380 volts, and also serieing the windings and connecting these as a wye for 760 volts.

380 is a common voltage in EU countries, although "harmonizing" at 400 is the trend (formerly, 380, 400 and 415 were commonly found).

Very high voltages, such as 760, are occasionally seen in oilfield and industrial-scale irrigation systems.

Much appreciated

Bill and Peter,

Your comments are much appreciated; thank you for taking the time to respond. I will proceed and post my results. It might not be right away as I am involved simultaneously in several projects.

Thanks again,

Mark

Back