What's new
What's new

3 Phase Air Compressor - 220v Wiring

omanalansan

Plastic
Hello, Newbie here, I found this forum few months ago, it has helped me a lot with prior projects. But now I’m stumped. I purchased air compressor with a motor that is a 3 phase and has a magnetic starter, I have 220v 10/3 wire going to it. Can I wire this thing up or do I need to purchase a new motor or buy a converter..?

Many thanks in advance
Omanalansan….

FC643747-F155-4B78-BF2C-D7E879A24863.jpg
54E6FF59-42D8-4C87-85B4-F810A1194838.jpg
0366636F-5945-423E-B9F9-D40535DA0ECB.jpg

He wants to know if your supply electricity is 220v single phase or 220v 3 phase. I am going to ASSUME you have plain household 220v 1ph and you want to know if you can run that 3ph motor off it, the short answer is NO, the long answer is yes with a phase converter or VFD.

Do you plan to add other 3ph machines? If so, rotary phase converter is what you need. If just compressor, vfd or swap motor to 1ph, going with vfd is probably cheaper and easier.

Sorry Digger Doug, yes single phase (house)

Dalmatiangirl61 - your awesome thank you. can you recommend a inexpensive VFD? I take it I need to purchase a VFD that can run a 5HP motor?

thank you
-O

I did this on a 10 hp quincy before I got a rotophase.

A simple "starter box" or "Static phase convertor"
from Cedarburg.

This only gives you 3/4 of the nameplate H.P. from
your 3 phase motor, so I replaced the motor pulley
with one smaller by 1/4.

Digger Doug - that was my next question, I'm watching Youtube ChuckE2008, he used a static phase converter. might just go that route. thanks!

I'm running an old ALL ORIGINAL Quincy from the mid 60's here.

You are going to be over the moon with how sweet a compressor runs off a vfd.
I have mine set to ramp up over 10 seconds, which is the minimum to not compromise the lubrication. Also only runs at 47hz, as I found that to be the nicest speed for low vibration\noise.

You MAY find that running a compressor from single phase through the VFD to be HARD on the vfd.
Piston compressors tend to see large oscillation is power requirement, and the VFD might't like that.
A large enough flywheel, like I have may be the solution.

Wiring Diagram?

I'm running an old ALL ORIGINAL Quincy from the mid 60's here.

You are going to be over the moon with how sweet a compressor runs off a vfd.
I have mine set to ramp up over 10 seconds, which is the minimum to not compromise the lubrication. Also only runs at 47hz, as I found that to be the nicest speed for low vibration\noise.

You MAY find that running a compressor from single phase through the VFD to be HARD on the vfd.
Piston compressors tend to see large oscillation is power requirement, and the VFD might't like that.
A large enough flywheel, like I have may be the solution.

I recently got (for free) a SpeedAire Model 3Z582 Single Stage, CCW, 3HP, 3 Phase Air Compressor. It has a Dayton motor with the following specs: Model 3N085, 3 HP, 3 Phase, 3495 RPM motor. According to the spec plate, it pulls 8.2 Amps at 230 Volts

I also purchased a Lapond (SoyanPower) Model SVD-ES 2.2KW, 10 Amp VFD in order to run the 3 phase air compressor, but the VFD's manual is written in heavy "Changlesh", and is tough for me to figure out. I am hoping someone in this forum can help me get this thing up and running, but other than connecting my single phase input to terminals R and S, and my 3 phase motor to U, V, and W, I am lost.

I have read enough to know that the pressure switches in my SpeedAire will not like the kind of power that the VFD outputs. So what is the solution? And how can I make use of all the other terminals? It would seem that the VFD could output a low voltage signal, and then receive a signal back to tell the VFD to STOP or to RUN. Am I correct about that? If so, can anyone tell me how to wire and program this VFD to do so?

Thanks so much!

Sixmenn

I recently got (for free) a SpeedAire Model 3Z582 Single Stage, CCW, 3HP, 3 Phase Air Compressor. It has a Dayton motor with the following specs: Model 3N085, 3 HP, 3 Phase, 3495 RPM motor. According to the spec plate, it pulls 8.2 Amps at 230 Volts

I also purchased a Lapond (SoyanPower) Model SVD-ES 2.2KW, 10 Amp VFD in order to run the 3 phase air compressor, but the VFD's manual is written in heavy "Changlesh", and is tough for me to figure out. I am hoping someone in this forum can help me get this thing up and running, but other than connecting my single phase input to terminals R and S, and my 3 phase motor to U, V, and W, I am lost.

I have read enough to know that the pressure switches in my SpeedAire will not like the kind of power that the VFD outputs. So what is the solution? And how can I make use of all the other terminals? It would seem that the VFD could output a low voltage signal, and then receive a signal back to tell the VFD to STOP or to RUN. Am I correct about that? If so, can anyone tell me how to wire and program this VFD to do so?

Thanks so much!

Sixmenn

Why ?.....

You are better off, and it will be less expensive to just replace the motor with a single phase one. You will also need to replace the thermal overload for one sized to a single phase motor. The contactor thermal overload will have three terminals, to use it for a single phase motor you run L1 through to T1 for one phase, bring in the the other phase to L2 and run a jumper wire them T2 to L3 and then connect the other motor phase to T3. (i.e. either L1 and L2, or L2 and L3 is run in series)
1 vs 3 Phase Contactors - Contactors & Overloads - Product Guides

Thanks so much!

Sixmenn

First you should have started a new thread as to not confuse everyone.

Sounds like you have a good basic foundation and understand that single phase goes in and three phase out and you can't have any switches between the motor and the VFD. So you should do just that or maybe you already have. Also removal all the power wiring from the pressure switch contacts which should go to a motor starter. You need to take the aux contacts from the VFD thru that pressure switch, the motor starter isn't needed. Typically that is done by wiring the "common" to the run terminal on the VFD terminal block via the pressure switch. That said can't give you specifics for a Lapond, never seen one in person.

Back