What's new
What's new

3 phase to single phase

rusdee

Plastic
How to run this 3 phase motor on single phase using a capacitor? Thank you.
Current line is 220v-240v but the motor requires 200v at 50hz
-10.jpg
-20.jpg

Hmm.. The reason why i asked about the capacitor is because the person sold it ran the machine on a $6 cap... but not full time. Looking into some VFD's but wanted to get one that supports a 3hp motor, any recommended models or makers?

aside it until 3-P can be had and run a "real" 1-P motor in its place.

Yah will get small Chinese motor.
Thanks for the help btw

At 1/3 rated power, too, of course! More decorative than useful if it wasn't triple-oversized to begin with.

You might want to check on the 1/3 power rating. I've always read that you get 2/3 the power from a static phase converter and I use one on a 7 1/2 HP lathe and never felt like it was derated that much.

You might want to check on the 1/3 power rating. I've always read that you get 2/3 the power from a static phase converter and I use one on a 7 1/2 HP lathe and never felt like it was derated that much.

You don't quite "just get 2/3" or "just get 1/3". The biggest issue is that since you are not using all the windings, the motor can get overheated in the winding that is being used.

Because some windings are not being used, they are not contributing heat. So you can get a bit more current into the windings that are in use without overheating them.

Still, I;d figure on 1/2 of the 3 phase power. Any extra is just "cushion" if you push the thing.

Figuring 1/3 is too little, figuring 2/3 is too much. The 1/3 makes apparent sense because adding one wire adds two phases. But it still adds only about 1/3 of the total power input, although it also adds torque.. (3 phase power at the same current in the wires, has 1.73x the power of single phase, not 3x).

A wye motor obviously is using two windings only, out of three. A delta motor will use the one corresponding to the two connected wires mostly, but there will be some current flow in the others as well. Because of "mechanical phasing", those are not going to be very useful as far as producing torque.

All single phased motors have only a pulsating field, not a rotating one (w/o run caps). So the motor running on single phase lacks torque vs the same motor powered by 3 phase.

So you get less torque, and you run a risk of burning out the winding(s) that are still in use if you push the motor. It's why motors at full load DO commonly burn out if single-phased.

Last edited:

Back