What's new
What's new

3 Phase to Single Phase Re-wire - Hofmann Tire Balancer - Sanity Check

xjgper

Plastic
Hello fine guys and gals. Can those with a much greater knowledge industrial machines and of the almighty angry pixie look this over? I'm attempting to add this balancer to my collection of vintage machines. late 1970's Hofmann Geodyna 44. Unfortunately, like all my other machines they need to be rewired, re-motored, or ran off a converter.

KUV4oDR.png

From my extremely limited knowledge of this diagram. I propose removing the 3 phase motor and replacing with a single phase 220v equivalent. This will remove L2 completely from the machine and shouldn't affect the DC braking ability (assuming that's what the diodes are for). Is this feasible?

1FgP2iW.jpg

Thanks for your time folks!
XJ

C2 appears to bring L1 to L3 during braking to use DC braking on the the IM motor. Maybe someone else will chime in, but personally I would say no, it needs to be 3 phase. 3 phase or not God forbid C1 or C2s contacts get welded...BOOM

JR

No, that can be rewired for single phase. If you notice, everything is wired off of L1 and L3. All you would need to do is the replace the motor with a single phase unit and you should be good to go. One issue you will have though, is the that run up time due to the inertia of the load my be more than most single phase motors can handle without being a high inertia starting motor. Good application for a repulsion start motor.

Tom

Thanks for the correction. Does DC braking work the same for PSC motors ?

JR

Yes. Works with any squirrel cage motor, really. A PSC is just a two winding squirrel cage motor.

Gets the rotor hot if done a lot on a short cycle. Likely not an issue with that device.

Yes. Works with any squirrel cage motor, really. A PSC is just a two winding squirrel cage motor.

Gets the rotor hot if done a lot on a short cycle. Likely not an issue with that device.
Well, my spin balancer...you start it up, she winds up, then takes a second or 2 to find the imbalance, then hits the brake.
1 minute (or less) from me hammering on weights, and it's run it again to re-check.

so there is several on/off cycles in a 15 minute period.

I would just hang a 4" muffin fan on it.
However, if the motor is direct drive, it may be a special, and specially balanced as well.

Help needed please

Hi there I have a hofmann geodyna 85 wheel balancer. its a three phase and have converted the motor to single phase. It has a 4 pin plug tried to work it out the pin pin cable but when connected there are no lights nothing. I disconnected L2 and used L1 live and l2 natural. but alas nothing. I know this is an old thread but hopping some one out there can help me. i have a wiring diag, it says on the motor 220/380v im trying to run on domestic 240v. I have bought this of some one the motor runs out of the machine fine but there are no lights on the machine nothing. Nick

Last edited:
Hi Nick,
I think your problem is you are doing what the above poster did and getting no results.
Well that Hofmann Machine is 230volts 3 phase, so if you were to change that 3 phase motor to a single phase motor and supply it 230volts single phase it should work OK.
What I am suspecting is your machine rating plate says 415volts. If so, this would mean all the internals would be 415volts, which won't work if supplied with only 240volts, but for example the old Repco machines, their circuit boards had jumpers that could be changed to 240volt position.
If you posted some pictures of your machine, the wiring diagram, machine rating plate and the machine's original 3 phase motor rating plate then this would be very helpful. Jim

Hi Jim I only have these pics on computer ill post them up and get more as soon as i can .Thank you Thank you . Your the only person on the net that has answered me to help. NickIMG_20180807_194408.jpg

Hi Nick,
When you say you converted the motor to single phase do you mean you fitted a new single phase motor, or, you converted the existing 3 phase motor with a phase converter to run from single phase.
In post No.1 of the electrical wiring diagram, in about the center is a transformer and down the left hand side
are some terminals - 575v
420v
380v
220v
110v
0v
So that machine is connected for 220v operation if your machine has that type of transformer you will need to connect it to 220v, if you are going to run it from 240v but you still need to do something about the motor.
I am having trouble reading your posted diamgram.

Jim

Yeah,in a nutshell its a 3 phase motor,220 or 400,still 3ph......so you cant directly run from single phase ,without a circuit to fake up at least 2 phases......in other words.....correct 1ph motor,or a capacitor setup,or a proper 3ph converter device.......

Back