What's new
What's new

3 Phase step up transformer 240V Delta to 480V question

gbent

Diamond
I'm moving some equipment into a new building. I would like to have a 480V panelboard to supply the 480V machines. I want about a 75 KVA transformer. My current supply voltage is 240V. Is there anything special to consider when using a transformer for step up?

I'm moving some equipment into a new building. I would like to have a 480V panelboard to supply the 480V machines. I want about a 75 KVA transformer. My current supply voltage is 240V. Is there anything special to consider when using a transformer for step up?
Is that 240v 3-phase, I hope.

Just make sure your transformer is designed for 240v primary and 480v secondary.

Using a 480v to 240v transformer and wiring it backwards (load to primary) will not give you proper voltage conversion.

Thats because all transformers have internal losses.
Those are calculated in and compensated when the transformer is designed.
Wiring it backwards invalidates those calculations and your output will be lower than expected.

- Leigh

What Leigh says about using a step down transformer to step up is true. But... (you knew that was coming, didn't you?:)) if the transformer has extra taps, you'll be able to compensate. The key, of course, is finding the right transformer...

Neil

One question you might ask: Do you really need isolation? If not you should consider an auto transformer set up. It is possible to wire three single phase buck/boost transformers together to increase 3 phase voltage. This can be an economical alternative to a big transformer.

Back