What's new
What's new

3 phase wiring question

henrylr

Plastic
I made a power cable with a plug on one end that plugs into a 220 volt dryer outlet. What are the three wires, at the other end of the cable, connected to in my 3 phase, wye wound, 9 lead motor. It has wires 1 & 7 connected to wire L1, 2 & 8 connected to L2, 3 & 9 connected to L3 and 4,5,6 wired together. Thanks, henrylr

I made a power cable with a plug on one end that plugs into a 220 volt dryer outlet. What are the three wires, at the other end of the cable, connected to in my 3 phase, wye wound, 9 lead motor. It has wires 1 & 7 connected to wire L1, 2 & 8 connected to L2, 3 & 9 connected to L3 and 4,5,6 wired together. Thanks, henrylr

Dryer outlets are not a source of three phase.

Larry

Depending on the dryer outlet it has either 2 hot leads and a ground or two hot leads and a ground and a neutral. Either way the two hots are most likely 240v single phase.
It might run your motor if you can spin it over while you add the single phase power but it will have less power. ( feed the single phase to two of the three phases of same voltage on motor, one motor lead not connected)
Best to use it to power a RPC to make you the needed 3 phase for the motor.

Don't really understand your question, but it appears that the three wires are conductors. No ground or neutral in this setup.

I have a number of 3 phase machines using this 50 amp rated plug/cable:https://www.acehardware.com/departm...on-cords-and-power-strips/power-cords/3835196, 3 hots and a ground.
But are your 3 phase machines (that you are using a single phase pigtail on) plugged into a single phase dryer circuit?
Or did you wire 3 phase power to your outlet?

"3 hots and a ground" would imply 3 phase service, so, yes, 3 phase to the outlets.
Yes, but you are using a single phase outlet for the three phase in your shop where the OP seems to want to plug a 3 phase motor into his existing dryer circuit, which is most likely a standard single phase dryer oulet. Maybe we will get clarification of what he has and what he needs...

"3 hots and a ground" would imply 3 phase service, so, yes, 3 phase to the outlets.

I "think" most of us are going with the current dryer hookup being two hots (normal residential single phase incoming power) and a ground, and the OP is trying to milk 3ph from it.

Which brings me to the novice farmer trying to hook the milking machine to the bull, and getting similar results to what #1 poster will get...

As others have said, a 220 volt dryer outlet is single phase, not three phase. Normal wiring would be L1, L2, and ground (no neutral). In standard single phase residential service you would have 110 volts from either L1 or L2 to Neutral and 220 volts between L1 and L2. This is because the service is provided by a 220 volt transformer secondary that also has a center tap. The ground is for safety only.

I think the OP should consult a qualified electrician before he hurts himself.

From what I have seen with my own two eyes the electrical profession has a higher percentage of hacks in it than any of the other construction trades. In Cali I fired 3 electricians all licensed and bonded to finish a job myself that wasn't all that complicated and maybe 30 hours work, I was just too busy to want to do it. The house I live in that I am remodeling now has more bad wiring work than you can shake a stick at and I am assuming it all could not be DIY amateur work, as it is obvious 4 wiring jobs to the well failed over the course of 40 years. That was discovered when digging was done by my neighbor and his mini back hoe so I can replace the water and electrical line properly.

As others have said, a 220 volt dryer outlet is single phase, not three phase. Normal wiring would be L1, L2, and ground (no neutral). In standard single phase residential service you would have 110 volts from either L1 or L2 to Neutral and 220 volts between L1 and L2. This is because the service is provided by a 220 volt transformer secondary that also has a center tap. The ground is for safety only.

He could have a NEMA14-50 dryer receptacle with neutral to explain the 3 non-grounding conductors

Back