What's new
What's new

3 wire Brushed 110vdc motor wiring

57buick

Plastic
Forgive me I'm spending hours on google trying to understand this motor and how to control it. I got it out of a large treadmill it is a 3hp 110vDC brushed motor with 3 wires. I want to use it to upgrade a mini mill spindle motor if I can. Do I use a SCR phase converter? and with that do I run 110vAC into it to run this DC motor? Or do I have it all wrong.

Can you recommend a good controller to use

I am perfectly comfortable doing electrical work on house and other machines but don't have much experience with large DC motors like this.

Attachments

• treadmill motor.jpg
    treadmill motor.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 29
Looks as if the third wire is just a ground. Apparently a green/yellow wire, right? So the others are + and - and you know what to do with them.

wiring-diagram-smooth0001

Im not sure, it is solid yellow and goes to a terminal labeled BW on the original controller. Ive been trying to find the actual wiring diagram for this treadmill but havn't found it yet. It was a CYBEX 445T treadmill. I also need the diagram if I want to reuse the orignal controller board and figure out which wires to short to turn it on and which wires to use for the potentiometer

Well, then it is the speed readout from connection 14 maybe.... it would surprise me if that was a single wire, though.

What DOES that wire connect to continuity-wise?

OK I figured it out I finally found the right schematic and it turns out that yellow wire is just a brushes monitoring wire so the machine could tell you when the brushes needed changed. SO I can don't need to hook that one up

OK I figured it out I finally found the right schematic and it turns out that yellow wire is just a brushes monitoring wire so the machine could tell you when the brushes needed changed. SO I can don't need to hook that one up

Treadmill motors I've seen have the overtemp sensor located on the brushes. It could be that.

well the manual I found specifically says it is for monitoring the brushes and will alert you 100 hours before it shuts the machine down that the brushes are needing changed soon

Back