What's new
What's new

30HP phase converter needed due to 460 volts?

zombk

Plastic
Greetings everyone, long time lurker, first time poster. I'm setting up a garage shop and have realized that I'm in completely over my head. Also, after speaking on the phone with American Rotary, I was told that I was going to need a 30HP phase converter to run a Hardinge Super-Precision CHNC (circa 1980's) and a Fadal VMC40. Electrical specs off these machines are at the bottom.

The gentleman I spoke to said the large horsepower requirement was due to the Hardinge running on 460v. I've yet to find any information on whether it can run on 240v or not, but it also seems odd that the transformer is going to use that much juice. It's been a long time since I've done anything with transformers, but if I recall correctly, they don't use much power.

So my questions are these:

Do I really need a 30HP phase converter for these two machines if I can't convert the Hardinge to 240v?

Is there a way to change the CHNC input voltage to 240v?

Need any other info?

Hardinge info: converted to Delta Tao controller in 1996
Model: CHNC
Supply volts: 460
Phase: 3
Kolowatts: 6.8
Hertz: 60
Machine FLA: 15
Control volts: 120
Spindle Drive: 3.8 Kw
Power wiring diagram: CCA-8220
N/C series 7370
~~Then there's a second plate below it which was obviously erased with acetone. I'm guessing during the conversion to Delta Tao.

Fadal VMC 40 info:
Model: 904-1
Supply Voltage: 220VAC
Phase: 3
Hertz: 60
Amperage rating of largest AC motor: 15 Amps
Short Circuit Interrupting capacity 180KA
Diagram: 1002

I have a Generator I can sell you that would possibly be cheaper. Its 480 volt 3 phase. Great unit. 55kw, send me a message.

Thanks for the replies guys. I decided to go with a smaller phase converter and run one machine at a time. I'm excited to get everything up and running. I'm going to be working on sound proofing today.

Back