What's new
What's new

480V bandsaw but only have 220v single phase

overhaulin

Plastic
I found a nice bandsaw but it says its 480V 3 phase. I currently only have 220 single phase but I plan on purchasing a Rotary Phase Converter because the 220V 3 phase equipment is so much cheaper and from what I understand costs less to operate.

Can anyone recommend how I might use a a 480V machine with my current service? Do I need a different motor or transformer in addition to my phase converter or should I just look at a different saw?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Merry Christmas!

I was looking at the saws tag, but I'll check the motor's tag as you suggested.

Great suggestion... thanks!

And if reconnecting isn't an option, there are always three phase dry type general purpose transformers to help out - on my set up the transformer is down stream from the RPC / digital device making 240 three phase. Its been doing that since 2003 with zero issues

If your motor is only 3 wire, take it to a motor shop to have all 9 line pulled out and have them hook it 240 volt, cheaper than a transformer...Phil

Transformer is not all that expensive. I have two transformers, one for 400V german manufactured mill/lathe/cylindrical grinder, and another step-down to 208V for my brother CNC machine. Neither were that expensive, and pretty install on back-end of your phase converter.

I found a nice bandsaw but it says its 480V 3 phase. I currently only have 220 single phase but I plan on purchasing a Rotary Phase Converter because the 220V 3 phase equipment is so much cheaper and from what I understand costs less to operate.

Can anyone recommend how I might use a a 480V machine with my current service? Do I need a different motor or transformer in addition to my phase converter or should I just look at a different saw?

Merry Christmas!

How big the saw, how MUCH power, and does the motor have to match a mounting directly to a gearbox or have a belt, and is there a built-in blade welder?

Tell us make and model, SOMEONE will have or have had the same, and have advice that "fits better".

How hard do you expect to run it, and is it "mission critical" to your activity?

Basic saw, not a huge motor, belted, not being run all day, every day, no blade welder, it could be cheapest to change the motor to single-phase, not even 2XX 3-Phase.

Lathes, mills, and such.. different situation. Very!
3-Phase has more obvious advantages for those critters.

And yes, you should at least consider a different saw that needs nada done to it or for it.

A "great deal" isn't so "great" if it costs more than it saves in money, time, or both. As conversions often do... "DAMHIKT".

Merry Christmas!

just change the motor. much cheaper.

It's a Peerless LVC-14, not a big saw, but just right for the shop. It also has a blade welder feature as well.

I plan on adding a phase converter for a couple of other pieces of equipment; bridgeport, compressor etc...

As Thermite stated a deal is not always a deal at the end of the day.

Thanks again for all the input!

Recently I changed a 220V motor back to the original 460v motor on a Clausing drill press.

It cost the price of a switch less than $20 on Amazon, a used single phase transformer $30 from OfferUp, a used VFD from Ebay $55 and several feet of new wiring.

For me the biggest challenge was the placement of the transformer and VFD...

For me the biggest challenge was the placement of the transformer and VFD...

No big deal.

The VFD's all went off to recycling for a simpler, more trouble-free life.

The transormer was harder. Sat several years on the back patio, now on the lower driveway waiting 'til my handyman has trailer space to haul it off for rcycling.

245 actual split-phase.

220, not 208, 3-Phase Wye.

If a motor ain't happy, it's replacement IS.

Back