What's new
What's new

440v contactor

piedmontg

Aluminum
Hi

I have a question on wiring up my Colchester lathe 7 ½ HP motor. It is configured for 440. Six leads come out A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, C2. For high voltage A1,B1,C1 are connected and L1-A2, L2-B2, L3-C2. The low voltage 220 connections are L1-A2-C1, L2-A1-B2, and L3-B1-C2. I connected it up to my 220v RPC and it ran just fine. I let it go for about 20 minutes and the motor was cool and seemed to have no issues.

My problem is the contactor has 440v control wiring. I would rather not replace the contactor and just keep everything in the control panel wired up as is.

I poked around and seem to only find heavy duty transformers to step up from 220v to 440v. I really only need something with a relatively small current carrying capacity. If I am reading the scale correctly the ohm meter shows 2,480 At 440v would be about .177A for the transformer.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Bob

Depends on the contactor. Some are so old that there are no replacement parts. It would help if you posted the make and cat. number of the contactor.

Also remember that the current will double meaning that the overload relay heaters will have to changed.

Tom

I took the contactor out and found the original number. Klockner-Moeller DIL 0 41. Found a direct replacement and overload up from 12A to 24A. $160.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Bob

Back