What's new
What's new

440v machine with 220 rpc?

sam_stlouis

Cast Iron
For the sake of arguement let’s say a 440v 3 phase machine would not be easy to convert to 220v 3 phase. Maybe motor, motors, controls,efc. Would make it to complicated.

I have a American rotary phase converter. 220 single phase to 220 3 phase. Is there a way to run a 440 machine on it. Can I use step up transformer on the output to the machine, or will this not work or damage the rpc

I have 220v machines so would still need my rpc for 220

I ran a 440 manual mill on a 220 RPC system for years without trouble. Just get a 3 phase transformer with proper step up/down and sufficient KVA rating. I brought mine into the system with a motor contactor and timed relays. Push and hold for normal 220. Push and hold a little longer for 440.

EDIT: I should also say I had properly rated breaker panels for each system.

On paper you should be able to use a three phase transformer to step up the voltage, or two single phase transformers wired in an open delta configuration. Mind you, most transformers are not wound for step-up operation - you'll probably end up getting closer to 400 volts all said and done. Code gets tricky with that too, but if it's just for a home project...

Back