What's new
What's new

460 volts to 230 volts

cob

Aluminum
need help please :confused::confused::confused:
so I got this 460 volt 10hp motor only 6 wires
and I am trying to see if I can wire to a 230 volts but it doesn't say that it can be wire for 230volts is it even possible? it say its 2 speed
I have a rotary phase converter that is 15 hp

at 870 rpm 5hp 7.6 amps

at 1760 rpm 10hp 12.5 amps

thank you

I wouldn't say this is a definitive answer, but my limited experience with two speed motors says they are one voltage.

Last edited:
You don't have enough leads to be 2 speed dual voltage. Usually because of the amount of leads required 2 speed dual voltage is not offered.

The way my FOUR speed 440 only Jig Bore works is each speed requires a different set of contacts in the mag starter - exactly like there were four motors in that one housing

The electrical enclosure has AT LEAST four mag starters in it - selected by selector switch (what you are doing is selecting the various coil circuits)

I would guess that your six wires represent THREE for each speed

You need a 15 or 20 KVA three phase dry type general purpose transformer, and in general terms these work fine hooked up backwards - such as when it is a 440 step down to 220. My transformer is "hooked up backwards" AS SUGGESTED BY the maker Acme

You ALSO need a two speed mag starter, which will be a linked pair in one box

and I am trying to see if I can wire to a 230 volts but it doesn't say that it can be wire for 230volts is it even possible? it say its 2 speed

at 870 rpm 5hp 7.6 amps

thank you

You can't run that at 230V. a 6 lead motor will be EITHER dual voltage OR two speed, never both.

at 870 rpm 5hp 7.6 amps

thank you

the reduced amps on low speed suggest that you might have a motor with two separate windings.

do you short 3 windings together for high speed?

in any case, most motors are WYE, you can take them apart and reconnect them as delta if you can get to the star point without damaging the coils, in this case delta would be 277 volts, and you could run that motor up to about 7.5 hp on high speed, or 3.5hp on low speed from a 240v 3 phase supply. even better would be to run it from a 240v vfd.. but program the vfd for 280v/60hz and you'll get full nameplate torque from the motor up to about 45-50hz

thank you for all the replies really appreciated .
bare with me I am still a little confuse so I really CAN use this motor with a VFD and wire to my phase convertor
all I have to do is ( take them apart and reconnect them as delta )?
I wounder there are place were I can take it to and can do this ?

thank you for all the replies really appreciated .
bare with me I am still a little confuse so I really CAN use this motor with a VFD and wire to my phase convertor
all I have to do is ( take them apart and reconnect them as delta )?
I wounder there are place were I can take it to and can do this ?

Take it to a motor rewind shop if they can bring out 12 leads you can reconnect as delta and run it at reduced hp.

how much is this motor worth to you and how much is your time worth? if this is a modern motor with polyamide magnet wires (with a nylon coating over the top of the polyamide) then you can almost certainly do this job yourself.. because the resin dip doesn't stick to the nylon.

if its an older motor and simply looking at the windings causes the enamal to flake off then its a different story.
if its not a particularly old motor but they used an epoxy dip then you may not be able to get to the midpoint of the hidden start point(s) without damaging the coils. it could also be a modern motor that was epoxy dipped and they didn't use nylon coated polyamide windings.. so the enamal on the maget wire may stick to the epoxy and you can't separate them without stripping the coating off the wires.. you can still get lucky though and find the hidden star point(s) without damaging the motor.

and even if you can reconnect it for delta 277 volts, you're only going to get 7.5 hp at 1750 rpm. you can almost certainly find a motor of that size for about $200.

and re-wiring for delta will require a significantly more complicated switching arrangement if you want to preserve the two speed functionality.. but if you're going to use a vfd then there would be no point.

thank you for all the replies really appreciated
but I think I will just buy a 5hp motor and hook a vfd.
anyone have any good sudjestion for a good vdf

Back