What's new
What's new

460v 3phase for a VMC with 240v 1ph?

Agfrvf

Aluminum
New to me VMC arriving next week that has a peak power of 15hp. Plugging in the max feedrate I doubt I'll ever hit that. Seems my options are phase perfect(most expensive), ADX rpc and a transformer, or a VFD driving a 240v 20Hp motor into a 20Hp 460v motor as a generator.

Thoughts?

New to me VMC arriving next week that has a peak power of 15hp. Plugging in the max feedrate I doubt I'll ever hit that. Seems my options are phase perfect(most expensive), ADX rpc and a transformer, or a VFD driving a 240v 20Hp motor into a 20Hp 460v motor as a generator.

Thoughts?

What is the spindle HP? 15HP?
If it’s 15HP, you’ll want a larger RPC than 20HP, say 25+ HP.

Motor generator sets produce nice sine wave 3ph power, but generally require lots of space. An RPC with a 20+ KVA 3ph transformer will also occupy a lot of space, BUT you can get two sets of output (low voltage side and high voltage side).
I built a 25HP RPC with a 35KVA 3ph transformer I picked up.
Both of these are also produce noise from the rotors/fans spinning, so depends on if you find that too annoying.

I don’t know enough about Phase Perfect to comment other than I know I cannot afford one.

15spindle 5hp axis

And yes a VFD controlled generator set. I have 2vfds on my lathe and mill and like them a lot. I'm thinking a generator would be inexpensive and straight forward.

Apparently the lift station on the edge of my property sharing my pole is Delta 208v 3 phase. Also I have 2 phase 240v power and not split. Would a CNC run on 2 legs and a ground?

15spindle 5hp axis

And yes a VFD controlled generator set. I have 2vfds on my lathe and mill and like them a lot. I'm thinking a generator would be inexpensive and straight forward.

me thinks otherwise.....

Apparently the lift station on the edge of my property sharing my pole is Delta 208v 3 phase. Also I have 2 phase 240v power and not split. Would a CNC run on 2 legs and a ground?

Ordinarily 208 VAC shouts "Wye". not Delta. Not a problem, either way, so long as it IS 3-Phase. And no, you do not have "2-Phase" power in Florida.

If it is THAT close, already? Don't make a problem out of a potential solution.

Call call the utility company, better-yet, an experienced industrial/commercial facility Electrician to manage that FOR you. Get a survey and quotation to run utility-mains 3-Phase that last "whatever" distance across your own property.

If you can GET that, then worst-case, you'll need to add a transformer. IF EVEN that. Your sparks guy can sort it. It's part of what they DO.

Powering a 20-25 HP or more input-side load off single phase - all of your present options are less than 100% efficient - is like sucking tomato soup through used panty-hose toes.

Doable, but hardly optimal, and the utility company is not going to exactly BLESS you for what it does to their local grid, anyway.

FPL is telling me 6months and 15k to run one wire.

My street is pretty vacant for the moment so I will try an RPC. Flipping through the literature there should be a 240 hook-up. Also the spindle is a DC motor so I don't think it will care much after being rectified.

My street is pretty vacant for the moment so I will try an RPC. Flipping through the literature there should be a 240 hook-up. Also the spindle is a DC motor so I don't think it will care much after being rectified.
That's a steal. Local power company wants 95k to run 3 phase 300 feet down the road to my property line, then I'm still on the hook for everything from the high tension to the house.

Not sure why, but 3 phase in residential areas is highly discouraged.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

THAT part you need to research, and more in detail than a VFD. It could be blessing or curse, either one until you sort WHICH with the maker, etc.

Above 2 HP or so, MOST DC Drives are direct on-the-line "thyristor class" or "advanced SCR" as to function, if not also their actual Silicon.

They "ARE" the rectifiers as well as the output pulse control. There is no pre-rectifier, filter capacitor bank, THEN pulse-shapers as a VFD has.

Any leg not as "good" as the other legs can confuse the drive's controls.

Shorter answer: Well maybe not so "short".

- Single-phase-in DC drives are out-of-the box wire and go, but scarce in serious power levels, and also need a massive ripple-filter, any DC motor not wound for 180 VDC or below. Per Reliance for their RPM III DC motors, and Parker_SSD for their DC drives, anyway. Who TF am I to argue with either oracle? I bought the ripple-filters.

- THREE phase in DC Drives as your machine already MAY have - actually depend very much on utility-mains grade balance of power among phases. Can't fool them as readily as a VFD. They fight naked, so to speak - nothing hidden, not even bad power, nor the third leg being shorter, hairier, and softer than the other two!

:)

DC SERVO on the spindle, you will just have to research. I haven't had the pleasure of having to delve into what their control amps need for rations in too many years to be even remotely current.

"More research" and sooner rather than later as to spending coin HIGHLY recommended.

Its a mitsubishi dc drive 10hp continuous, 15hp for 30min. There is a conditioner transformer before main switch, and there is another transformer before spindle driver.

Back