What's new
What's new

480v lathe in 220v shop?

Derf

Plastic
I’m looking at a larger 480V 3-phase lathe to add to our shop. But currently we only have 220v 3-phase.

What options, if any, are available to make this work? Would I have to replace the motor? Or should I pass on the lathe as too much trouble?

I’m looking at a larger 480V 3-phase lathe to add to our shop. But currently we only have 220v 3-phase.

What options, if any, are available to make this work? Would I have to replace the motor? Or should I pass on the lathe as too much trouble?

What size of "motor" ?

In many places, buying a transformer is relatively in-expensive.
"Feed it what it wants" and no bother with wire sizes, and changing of heaters in obsolete equipment.

The big bucks are in the controls, the motor most likely can be re-hooked but the coil and overloads will have to be changed out, and in many cases the parts arnt out there (too old)...Phil

Hi,

Im no electrical engineer - but have done this many times and banged my head into the wall regarding re-winding motors, changing out half the machine etc, etc...

I have always found that matching a nice transformer simplifies everything- you will eat less amps, run cheaper and more efficiently at the machine vs 220... and you can find "like new" transformers on craigslist or offerUp in your neighborhood for around $100.

Wiring is straightforward and simple.

Transformer all the way :D

Back