What's new
What's new

575v Transformer vs 3 phase line reactor?

amoniave

Aluminum
Have a cpl side mount garage door openers I'm hoping to use.

both 575v 3 phase. I have a number of single phase to 3 phase VFD's, All 230v.

Mtr's are only 1/2hp, so like 1 amp each on 575v. (maybe 5 amp on 230v SP)

Was looking up 575v transformer and these phase line reactors keep coming up and for pretty cheap.

1. Is there a way to go from 240v single, straight to 575v 3 phase Without using a VFD? (or any phase convertor)

2. Can someone explain what a 3 phase line reactor is?

3. What is my best option here?

Thanks!

These openers have chains for manual opening if needed, so I'm pretty well covered there.

Looking to keep them 575v and some advice on transformers and where to place, before or after VFD, and if VFD is needed.

Thanks!

Thermite and his DC motor fetish. :rolleyes5:

Line reactors are typically used in series with non-linear loads like VFDs to normalize their current consumption. Less intense spiky pulsations of current, more of a smooth, proper sine wave. Line reactor is just a fancy term to describe an inductor intended for that particular use.

If simple enough, consider swapping the motors and control transformers for 120/240V single phase ones. Else Craigslist the 600V units and put the proceeds towards 120/240V ones. Any other solution will involve undue complexity and expense. You will not be able to obtain three phase power reliably from single phase without the use of a VFD, RPC or static phase converter, and the change in voltage will necessitate the use of a transformer. That's a lot of screwing around for a garage door opener or two.

Worth noting that VFDs, unlike static phase converters, are not intended for D.O.L. starting of motors and may not work for your application. You will also need to oversize them so as not to overload the input stage using a single phase source. Or use an external rectifier and supply it via DC link terminals if so equipped.

Thanks for all the input guys. I was decided on just selling these and picking up a cpl Liftmaster 8500w's, but after looking into them, the speed seems a little slow, guessing because direct drive.

So I may swap in a cpl 115v transformers and 230v single phase mtrs and make use of these, not 100% sure yet, but it will be one or the other ;)

Back